Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

Laser spine surgery log

coach mikeccoach mike Posts: 29
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:32 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi all,

Underwent lumbar discectomy and neural decompression surgery on June 30,2009 after 17 years of lower back pain. Hopefully, some of my experience can help.

In a nutshell:
L3-L4 bulging
L4-L5 herniated/burst
L5-S1 herniated/burst

Opted for accurascope laser procedure at EDITED Cost $15k.

My right leg from the waist down has been numb since the surgery. Unable to walk without cane/crutch. I'm told the compressed nerves have been aggravated and is causing the numbness. 2 weeks to heal, 4-6 weeks total recovery expected. I start pt today, 1 week after surgery.

More to follow.

Doctors name and contact details removed by forum Moderator (paulgla). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.
advertisement

Comments

• First round of pt was mild. It's going to be slow going as my primary focus is limited movements until the swelling in my back goes down. One more tomorrow, and then twice a week for the foreseeable future.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H good luck on your recovery.. :D we are always here to help! =D> Jenny :)
  • advertisement
  • Thanks, Jenny!
  • Day 8 after surgery - Spinal headache

I woke up with a slight headache that turned into a nightmare commute. Thankfully I made it to work, only to lie down for an hour so someone could drive me home.

PA said it was probably a spinal headache, not a result of pt. Had to lay flat for 24 hours, lots of fluids.

I now understand what people who get migraines go through. Bonecrushing!!
  • Day 9 and the headache lingers...especially when I sit for any extended periods. Fortunately, lying down is an immediate fix for the pain.

On the plus side, my pt exercise seems to be providing more feeling in my foot (pins & needles, sometimes pain).
  • advertisement
  • I am considering the accurascope procedure as well and wanted to see check in and see if you had another update?
  • longroad,

Yes, I do. I apologize as time seems to get away from me. The numbness in my leg is still the big problem. Some days very painful (5-6), usually after pt, which I'm still going 2-3 times a week.

My gp has put me on a stronger anti-inflammatory than Aleve which will hopefully stop the pain and numbness. As a precaution, I have an appt with a neurologist in 3 weeks if it doesn't subside. My pt thinks it will be 6-8 weeks before I'll be back to normal.

The best news is my lower back is in no constant pain. I get a twang now and then, but waking up in the morning with no pain is amazing after all these years!
  • Good to hear about your back. Hopefully, the numbness will go away. Please keep us updated.

Thanks!
  • Did the doctor say the headache was a side effect? That's brutal to have a headache that long... I get them several times a year.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • Sorry to log in so infrequently. Day 31 is Friday, the day I can start lifting heavy objects again. I think I will still take it easy for a couple of more weeks.

jeuxbert-the headache was a spinal headache, can happen up to a week after the surgery. To my understanding, the myelin sheath around the spinal cord can be nicked allowing all the fluid to drain out. Lying down allows the the sheath to fill back up, but takes a couple of days. And should not come back.

PT today was brutal, pain in my foot is severe,and unfortunately for the first time since surgery, I have pain in my lower back. I'm blaming this machine that I call the back breaker. You lay face down and your head and feet are simultaneously raised. I went 75 times at 25 degree angle today.

My GP has moved me from myloxican (non-steroid) to prednisone (steroid) today to hopefully stop the inflammation faster.

Progress with my leg strength and numbness is very slow. I have to admit I'm getting a little frustrated. Hopefully, the next 2 weeks of pt will show real progress.

Thanks for reading,
    coach mike
advertisement