Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Whats the deal with some restrictions?

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:32 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had ADR and ALIF on May 11th and I am doing great!!! My surgeon said no swimming, hot tubs, or baths for 4 months. I get the hot tub and bath due to trying to get out of them but what about swimming? Im not looking to do laps but would like to wade in the pool or lake to cool off and beat the heat. I thought it might be because of the insision but its all healed up. Anyone know why?
advertisement

Comments

• It does sound like the surgeon does not want you in any water where you would be soaking. Some surgeons have restrictions for a month or two but I haven't heard of one lasting four months. Why don't you call the office and inquire?

I can only assume it has something to do with the healing and the fear of infection.

I'm sure you could wade in the water if you didn't get your back wet.
  • I had l5 s1 fusion and although my Dr did not restrict me from swimming after the second month post op, It hurt like heck when I tried. Wading was ok, but swimming, I dunno was like when I was floating I was being bent over backwards or somthing, like my core was still weak from surgery and couldnt hold me together. Im sure that might have set me back a little early on. I quit doing that for a couple more months now it feels better when im swimming. I dunno, I agree with gwennie check with your Doc again, see what he/she says. I'm sure that doc will still tell yah chicken fights are out for a little while longer.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,059
    sounds more exercise related than water related. I agree with gweenie that four months is a long time to keep an incision away from water.
    I had a flap taken from my back to cover a good size hole due to a third degree burn. The doctor told me to stay out of my hot tub for 6 weeks to allow the area to heal. The folks that rule the therapeutic pool had me wait almost 3 months until there was zero signs of any open type of wound or incision.
    Swimming can be very tough on the spine, cervical or lumbar. Take a look at this thread:
    Swimming and Pain
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • post PLIF and my ortho dont want me in regular pool as the cold water will tense up my back muscles. I am able to go to therapy pool. That because it is warm and then only walking through water, no swimming.
  • I have a pool that 4 feet deep and have 3 spine operations. My surgeon wants me in the pool as long as the temp is over 80degrees and i just walk around in it. No butterfly strokes or swimming basically. 4months after your incision is healed so its not that. My doctors actually put me in a therapy pool after my back operation after the skin healed and it healed faster too. I would think that a chlorinated pool be better then the ocean or a lake to reduce any chances of infection also. But as long as just soak and walk around I wouldnt think you would harm anything. No diving or jumping either in my opinion.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • I go to the doc on Friday and I will ask him why. Im not looking to swim, just go in the water to cool off and spend time with the kids without sitting on the sidelines watching. I've been watching for years and am now ready to be a part of my childrens lifes again!!!!!Thanks everyone, will let you know.
advertisement