Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Well, back from the PM

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Pain Management
Thank God he didn't say "so how are you doing on the Effexor and Neurontin"! He actually (for the first time) LISTENED to everything I said, and agreed it would be best to give "trying new meds out" a rest for a month or so. So I opted for Norco. He also "fixed" my upper back, as it's been aching for a while.

Unfortunately, he still had me gaping with confusion by the end, by telling me that he was going to contact my PCP and ask him to start me on a mood stablizer. :jawdrop: He said that my manic reaction to effexor is "almost diagnostic" (edit: of Bipolar disorder). Has anyone ever heard of this? I know with this disorder, you can practically paint yourself in it depending on how you view yourself, so I'm not going there, but it does have me quite crazy! ~X(

Anyway, I just wanted to update everyone. I'm feeling so much better already! :D

Take care all, and hope everyone's doing well tonight!

• Are you bipolar? Is that what he was referring to?
  • If you were asking why the doctor said "almost diagnostic:"

It is a fairly common occurrence that when someone who has bipolar disorder is given a depressant without having a mood stabilizer in place, the med will flip him/her into a manic state. When this occurs, it is often the first clue that the patient is bipolar.
  • Err, did I forget to use the word? That's what he thinks. I think I may have just shown signs that I am trying to ignore his "diagnosis"... I'm deferring to my PCP, since I've been seeing him for about 4 years, and he knows me well. :$
  • glad youre feeling better...boy i've never seen you on the other end of the mood swing. you always seem so up. if so keep it up.... =D> =D>
  • That's the funny, har, har, yeah, very funny...thing about bipolar. It comes in all levels and forms.

I can't say if you have it or not, I sometimes wonder about it for myself and will probably ask...

Anyway, a guy at work has been chasing depression and other issues for many years. Two or Three years ago his shrink suggested maybe he was low level bipolar and that was why they could not get him stable.
    They tried him on one of the more common meds for it. I forget which one.
    He says it is the best thing he has ever done. Since I work around him I see he is much more "stable" as far as mood swings and excitability.

Like I said, I'm not a doctor, (but, I'd like to play one on TV)... Sometimes we just have to take a deep breath and go for it.

Who knows your PCP may think totally different about the whole thing!
  • If anyone is interested, check out this site for some accurate information on bipolar disorder:

• Hehe "But I'd like to play one on TV" =)) =))

This is all I'm going to say on this until I talk to my PCP, and I don't want to make light of the subject, but truthfully, that could be my entire family, from my mother (not my father though), my sister (but not my brothers), and all 3 of my children... and me included. I would think if I'm not having problems on a day to day basis, if I was diagnosed, (pete has it right here :p) why would they want to bring me down from my (almost constant) happy mania? Besides a few unexplained times of feeling slighted with no reason to feel so, The only times I have gone into a depression, I've had a darn good reason to be there.

Thanks for the information Gwennie!

Hugs all

• You don't need to worry- you're just fine the way you are. I would be nervous around anyone claiming to be "normal". What is normal anyway? I'd rather be happy and manic than sad and depressed ;)
  • I believe the general idea is that addressing the chemical aspect of bi-polar disorder (through the addition of a mood stabilizer) will open the door for trying and/or using certain anti-depressant drugs that have been proven effective for nerve pain management, without that extremely negative side effect of full-blown mania.

A mood stabilizer won't change a person's baseline happy disposition and positive attitude. Once people with bipolar get settled with the right mood stabilizer at the right dose, they usually settle in right at who they really are. The people with well managed bi-polar disorder are the ones you can't pick out.. the one's you can pick out are still works in progress. ;)
  • I Agree with you Meydey, but don't call me Shirley, I mean Tammy. :O) =)) (lol) Or wait, :? is Bionic tammy? I'm so confused! 8}

But yes, I definitely would rather stay the way I am. In fact I truly wish the doctor had said nothing, because for some reason since I saw him, I've been on a rollercoaster of emotions, it's amazing how much a little suggestion can screw with your head... :T

Bionic, I see where you're coming from, but for him to make a strong suggestion of a diagnosis based on one reaction seems almost negligent to me. Again, I will defer to my PCP. Until then, I just need to get rid of this stupid worm of doubt eating all rationale in my brain! ~X( :SS

Until then, "not gonna talk about it" [(

No really this time, I'm not....

• Why thank you, Meydey. You know darn well you never have to be nervous around me! I will always forewarn you of any conditions I may develop along the way. There is no way I am going to miss out on the possibility of having skipping races with you in a shopping mall, once we're at our best. Ya know? ;)

Kat - I'm pretty sure Meydey meant to address you as either Chatty Cathy, Kat, Jusserfin or Whyme on reply #8. She didn't do this on purpose, she's just trying to catch up with everyone before her big day tomorrow. (I'm so excited for her.) :)

Hmm...you know, I might be totally wrong as Meydey is quite insightful. It wouldn't surprise me at all, if she had one of her dreams which diagnosed me with this particular disorder. Remember our dream and nightmare thread? We all have had doozies and they continue on! I must say, I do not have any symptoms of what has been described here, but one truly never knows what the future may bring.

I don't want any doubtful worms bothering you and you've been on this rollercoaster ride for too many days now. Let's search the Fairgrounds for another ride... like a big slide with no dysfunctional worms or insects. I'll bring a thick padded sleeping bag and lots of pillows for additional comfort. Or, Mike is pretty handy with creating anything we could use for comfort (no pain) on a nice, big, superslide ride! Ohhh... can you feel that sweet sunshine and fresh air blowing in our faces? I can, if I close my eyes. Let's invite the rest of the family, too. Whatever it takes to make sure that all of us Spiney's from Spine-Health get to enjoy a sunny day filled with nice long superslide rides... I would gladly do! We deserve it! =D>

We need to run this by Papa Ron first, of course. And, see if the rest of the family agrees.

Such a fun thought!

Kat - I completely respect your decision for not wanting to talk about that other stuff right now. I was hoping to fill your thoughts with a nice distraction here... one we can all add to... and smile about.

I know you will get everything under control real soon. Please continue to let us know how your days go, as we do care.

Best wishes for a pleasant day tomorrow.

Beth (woopsy... I mean TAMMY!) :D
  • I had terrible side effects from effexor, hated it. Anyways, I know you don'[t want to talk about this stuff, just wanted to say I hope you're feeling good, and good luck with your pcp, and try not to overthink things before talking with the doc!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I agree with Kelly, I was on Effexor for a few months and was a completely different person. Anyone who knew me would have thought I was losing my mind. Mood changes, high excitability, the works. I'd just ask your PCP is the drug itself is doing it....IT, as in making you appear to be BP by an almost stranger LOL!

I hope you get answers before thay come lock you up in the padded Hilton. You are spreading far too much joy and we simply can't have that.