Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi I'm new so hope someone can help with this problem.
I have lumbar back pain from 2 bulging discs and stenosis etc etc. I have a fairly new soft mattress that is not helping and wonder if anyone knows about a mattress topper that would make the bed firmer and more supportive. I'd rather not have to pay thousands of dollars again for a new mattress if I don't have to. Has anyone had success with putting a board under their mattress to firm it up?

• I can't help you there except to say that I fold up a comforter or 2 lengthwise and put it under the matress. I'm still undecided as to whether it does anything or not...;>)

But i can offer this WARNING:

I bought an expensive Serta matress a little over 2 years ago. it's mostly foam with a comfort top that started sagging where i lay down. Within the first year i tore off the tags and sent them to the warranty center - if it went bad, they'd replace the matress if the 'sag' was deeper than 2".

Here's the catch, they sent someone over and placed a long ruler across the width of the matress and measured the 'sag'. It wasn't 2" deep which it normally is (and more) when your in it!

So, if you ever do this, make sure you manage to lie in it for at least 30 minutes to put the sag back in the matress. Have 'them' call you when they're on the way over or have some scheduled time of arrival.

You can't prove your matress is actually a form fitting coffin after it's had all day to inflate itself...;>)

And no, the rep didn't push down on the pillow top at all to see where it bottomed out, let alone put any real pressure on it. Just a quick measurement between the ruler and the top layer of cloth.

Serta,.... rat basta*ds spelt backwards...;>)
  • normally i would tel you to get a memory foam topper but that will only make a soft mattress even softer.if you can afford it get you self a good quality pocket sprung with a built in memory foam mattress..i have found that a full memory foam mattress {we bought the top of the range tempur] was too hard..a company called velda also make very good mattresses we have the velda ..if you live in the UK go to sleepmasters and try out there range ..velda make for sleepmasters...good luck mattress shopping
  • Thanks so much for the info a bout Tempurpedic. Right now I have a soft Beauty Rest. Am also thinking about a Sleep Number Bed. Harty congrats on the Smoking!!! Keep up the good work
  • Thanks Jim for the info on the comforters idea. I will try it. My matt. is a Beauty Rest and will look for the label and try that too. Hope I don't have the same problem you have w/ Serta. What B's!!!
  • My wife has a tempurpedic, I tried it and as I lay on my side, I started to flop over onto my back as the matress sagged...;>)

Another bit to my WARNING:
    Once you rip off those tags and send them in (Serta wanted the originals), that's the ONLY time you'll be able to register a complaint as now your tags are gone forever... but your matress stays...;>)
  • Sofia, I've had a sleep number bed for over six years and it's absolutely the best thing I've ever slept on. The ability to make it softer or harder when I need it is a God-send. That gets my vote.

Jim, I'm going to have to make a citizen's arrest on you for taking the tag off. Didn't you read that you can't remove it under penalty of law?!? What is this world coming to?!?

• Hi!
    You could use the same mattress; however, sleep on the floor instead.
  • I am with you. I can't make it work either.

The mattress is too soft. The floor is too hard and the couch kills now.

I like the idea of a number bed I must say, so you can adjust it depending on how you feel. I imagine they cost an absolute fortune.
  • in a recliner? i have an electrical bed ..but i sleep in my recliner most nights as i find it more comfortable ...just a though!
  • I have had a sleep number bed for about 4 years now and I think it was a life saver for my wife and I. First I can adjust my side for me and she can adjust her side for her. I use to toss and turn a lot and I must admit with restless legs I still do sometimes but she can not feel me most of the time so she gets a good night sleep. I seem to change my sleep number a lot as most of you know what feels good one night does not necessarily feel good the next night. We can also vibrate, lift the legs and raise our head if we want.

Hope this help for anyone looking for a good mattress.
This discussion has been closed.