Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACHY ALL OVER

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Glad to have found a site with people with the same problem.
I am 8 weeks post op for a L4/L5 spinal fusion with instrumentation and I feel really achy all over but especially in both legs and am finding stairs and getting up from the settee really hard and am wondering just how long it will last. The surgeon not that interested and says x.rays look good.
advertisement

Comments

• i'm pete...good to meet you...youve been through big surgery. it takes its toll and your muscles take time to get back in shape. how is the nerve pain that you must have had prior to surgery?
    pete
  • What you are feeling is a very normal part of recovery. Fusion is a BIG surgery and it is really quite an assault to the body. My physical therapist specializes in a particular kind of orthopedics and she has watched many surgeries. The description of what they do to us is really amazing. It is really a construction project, with the use of saw, drills, hammers and LOTS of hard pounding. I won't go into all the details as some people might be squeamish!! But, it is no wonder that we really hurt afterwards and are very tired.

I have heard many people say that they started feeling better around 2 months ...or maybe it was after two months...I can't remember now...but I was tired and it took awhile to start to get some strength back. Are you still taking any pain meds? I took everything prescribed to me religiously for the first eight weeks and by ten weeks I did not need anything...so hopefully, you are just on the verge of starting to feel less achy.

It is important that you take several short walks each day. This will help build up the strength in your legs and will get rid of some of that achiness.
  • I know it seams like a helpless situation when the Dr does not seem interested, but it is normal for them to not take action at this point and allow your body to heal. As you can see above, alot has gone on with the surgery. You have to allow time for these things to heal. If they do continue after the healing process has taken place, your Dr will look further. Even though you would like to be able to tell one of the stories of a quick recovery, some of us are not that lucky. I am also about 8 wks post op and have some good results and have some newer problems. Only time will tell, but healing has to take place before anything else is explored. Nice talking with you and hope your recovery continues.