Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Horrible butt pain. Help with understanding MRI after surgery

spssp Posts: 18
Can any one help me understand my MRI 6 months after Micro L5/S1 surgery. I am in extreme pain in the lower butt area, leg is still numb along with foot. Thought surgery would take care of this. I know nobody is a Doctor but if you could just help me understand my MRI after surgery maybe I could calm myself down a bit.

1. Evidence of prior right laminectomy at L5/S1, with enhancing granulation tissue extending through the surgical defect, through the overlying ligamentum flavum, and partially surrounding the posterior margin of the descending right S1 nerve root.

2. Disc bulging within the mid to lower lumbar spine as described above, with right facet degenerative change at L5/S1. There is no exiting nerve root compression or significant central stenosis.

I have taken anti-inflammintory drugs, no help. Currently taking pain med to keep the pain not so severe that I cannot walk or sit. Lying down gives me no releif either.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

• most of your problems {from what you have said } seem to be arthritic rather than nerve related.if there is no impingement of the nerves and therefor no leg pain {traveling down to the foot} you are suffering from bony problems ..still very painful ..try a good rub in cream like eumovate..also try a good TENS and go see your doctor for some decent pain killers you may have some scar tissue from your previous operation and it may be pressing on your nerve root {even though it says that the S1 nerve root is free the smallest amount of scar tissue {epidural fibrosis} pressing on a nerve root feels like when you get a spec of dust or an eye lash in your eye!}some times the MRI scan wont pick up all the scar tissue ..you mention facet joint syndrome? i have that too and its very pailful .my advice get a good recliner and an electrical adjustable bed and a good TENS also use ice .constant back pain is hell but it can be managed and when it carnt ..strong pain killers and rest ..my advice is from personal experience i am not a medic so always seek medical advice .
  • Did you have a diagnostic discogram prior to surgery? I was just thinking that perhaps another of your bulging discs, above the level where surgery was performed,(as mentioned in # 2) is causing the pain.

Otherwise, it may be that the granulation tissue is pushing against that S1 nerve root...as is mentioned in #1. I have taken a couple sentences from a medical study shown here: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2613387 to help explain what is granulation tissue. (The study, which was done on rats, deals with trying to find a method of imaging that would be useful to find this condition after surgery.)

"One of the associated risks of lumbar spine surgery is the development of postoperative granulation tissue. This granulation tissue may lead to postoperative complications such as, recurrent radicular pain, muscle weakness and paresthesia [3] and also contributes to further complications in the event of a follow up surgery [4-8]."

I hope you have mentioned this problem to your surgeon. It may be that taking anti-inflammatories, or getting an injection will be helpful in getting this tissue to go down and stop pressing on the S1 nerve, if that is, indeed, the cause of your post-surgical pain.

• I had terrible problems with my facets at L5/S1. This is the reason I had to get a fusion rather than the ADR that I had hoped for. They needed to stabilize the facets to stop the pain, or at least that was the plan - only 3 weeks out, so I can't say for sure what the end result is.

I am sorry you went through surgery and didn't get relief. Hang in there - maybe a facet injection would help?
  • Ive had 3 separate lumbar surgeries, the most recent 8/2012 a foranotomy and open rhizotomy @ L4-5 S1 andi 5 months out I have butt pain ,sciatic pain. MRI recently performed which showed post laminectomy syndrome around the L5 nerve. Fluid and granulation can be the cause of the butt pain. Surgeon suggested a trans foraminal right leg spinal injection. If you have hormone issues such as. Low cortisol from too many ESI's over a period of time, check to see if this injection includes a steroid and consult with your endocrinologist especially if you are titrating hydrocortisone to "wake up" your adrenal glands to naturally produce cortisol. 1 injection of kenolog orr other steroid could set your protocol back months. Not an M.D. just repeating instructions I just received today post MRI . Pain medications such as oxy(ir) r good for breakthrough but I'm sur you know the pitfalls of opiates used not as directed over time. Good luck. Hope this helps but as always consult the professional.