Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long to develop symptoms

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Lower Back Pain
For all those who have herniated discs and whatnot - how long did it take to develop the symptoms (leg pain, numbness, that sort of stuff)?

I injured my back about 10 weeks ago and for all intents and purposes have been doing much better. I still have some localized pain off to the side of my back, but nothing terrible. The thing is, lately I've been getting a very warm sensation in my lower leg - below the knee, and some very mild tingling (barely perceptible). This only lasts a few minutes.

So my question, given that I have NOT been doing anything that would aggrevate my back, and aside from some mild aches and pains in my side, does this sound at all like what herniated discs do? Is this perhaps something else like perhaps renewed blood flow from sitting down so much and unrelated to my back pain? After 10 weeks I would expect any herniation to be healed by now or at least the symptoms to be lessening - not increasing.

I see an orthaepedic surgeon on Monday to follow up my progress to date and I was wondering if this is something I should be unconcerned about or is this what it feels like right before the REAL sciatic pain hits.

• I was in some pain for many weeks and seeing GP, pysiotherapist etc for a month + and then the disk Herniated (confirmed with MRI), completely incapacitating me.

In past had pain on legs (and muscle spasms) which caused local temperature rise that was noticable to touch. As you have had and injury with psoas (which joins spine and upper leg) and is a strong muscle (and there are special exercises to stretch it) there are lots of things could happen and pull things out of alignments and impact other muscles and joints. Suggest you write down all symptoms you experience (much like a diary) for your appointment with the orthopedic surgeon and he/she can try to work through your history and symptoms to formulate a diagnosis. Get yourself a list of questions as well.

Sounds like you are doing the right things. Hope there is good news for Monday!
  • hopefully this isn't the start of pressure on the spinal nerves. but it could be. it can start very slowly like you mentioned. for my situation i got some slight tingles 3 years ago in my thigh. now it's full blown pain getting worse every day. i guess only a dr. and some scans can give you a definitive answer..
    hang in there.....pete
  • One, it doesn't sound like an emergency - that's good. I wasn't sure if I should show up at the urgent care clinic rather than wait until Monday. But the thing that bothers me is that it's happening on my LEFT leg and all the problems that I've been having have been on my RIGHT side.

My leg has gotten worse overnight, it now feels like your arm does after sleeping on it all night. I can still walk normally though.
  • on the spinal nerves. the muscles pulling in your back aren't putting the pressure on the nerves. here's an example. you do something for the left side of disk to protrude slightly. the pressure on the disk was applied to the left therefore sending pain down left leg. but in the course of the accident when weight got applied to your left the muscles in your back on the right got stretched. the pain in leg and pain in back can be on different sides. i hope this makes sense i'm a bit foggy today
  • :H My sciatic pain presented itself in my left foot (wound up having surgery for morton's neuroma/inflamed nerve). As I lay in bed recovering from foot surgery, I developed severe pain in the back of my left thigh. Couldn't imagine what was going on since I had NO back pain whatsoever. The podiatrist assured me it wasn't the foot. I went to my primary care doctor who sent me to a physical therapist. I had three sessions with her and she couldn't figure out what was going on. Finally, out of desperation and PAIN, I went to an ortho doc, he took an X-ray and found a bulging disc at L4/L5. This sent me on a journey of anti-inflamatories, Lyrica (for nerve pain), pain killers, 3 epidurals (provided some relief). It's been a year since all this started and I'm still dealing with sciatic pain. I am not a surgery candidate.

This has been my experience and your experience sounds much more promising as you are not experiencing high levels of pain. Write down all your questions before you go to the doctor -- I find I become verbally constipated (LOL) when I go to the doctor's office and forget to ask questions. We all get so dazed by what they say to us that we forget to ask questions and I think of everything on the drive home.

Good luck to you and I wish you a good outcome from your doctor's visit.

• Well I broke down and went to the doc to satisfy the numbness angle.

He basically told me to stop worrying excessively about it, but definitely take it up with the orthopedic surgeon on Monday. I also got x-rays and scheduled an MRI on Saturday. It's for the lumbar discs, so unfortunately I think it will miss the problem area, which I believe is in the thoracic discs. Hopefully there is sufficient overlap in the MRI to perhaps capture the T10, T11, and T12 vertebra.

I actually feel pretty good right now, only a sense of heat in my lower leg and my back is relatively pain-free. I plan on taking it easy regardless of how well I feel.
This discussion has been closed.