Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need Help

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Pain Medications
I am seven months out from PLIF and still having alot of pain. I am now on 50 fentanyl patch every 48 hours and percocet 30 mg every 4-6 hours for bt. I feel that my pain is real. BUT I am also concerned that maybe my body has got used to it and it doesnt work as well as used to.

My question is this, Do I quit the Fentanyl patches all together and try to tough through the pain. I mean, I have gone down from 75 to 50 in last 2 weeiks. I know I need to wean off them, so do I go to 25 for a couple and then none? I am so mixed up. I want off my meds, I want to feel better and am getting tired of this long recovery. So have any of you gone down on meds and found out you are better off for it. I have had many surgeries and can take pain. But even now, when 4 hours hit it starts to really ache again...Help, I need some imput. I go to ortho on Weds and would like a plan to work on. Hope this makes sense!

• Hi Iowarobin,
    Any medication reduction should be done with the approval and consent of your doctors whether they be surgeons or pm doctors.
    It may be that your body has gotten used to being in pain, and you may find that once you are off all of the medications for a while, that you can take care of the pain that you experience with an over the counter pain reliever or you may not. There really is no way to tell at this point.
    With the fentanyl patches it is vitally important that you and your doctor come up with a taper plan that you can work on together, that way if you have any problems, he can deal with them medically.
    I applaud your efforts to find out if you can handle the pain with out the heavy duty pain medications.
    Best of luck to you,