Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Actual time of ACDF, single & double fusion, pleasse

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone -

I am scheduled for the 29th, which is 2 weeks away (my nerves are starting to act up) needless to say I have 4 children all of whom will be at their championship swim meet while I am having surgery.

I am scheduled for 7am, thank goodness, but I have searched and searched and i can not find the actual time it takes to do the surgery. As of right now, I am just ACDF on C4/C5 with cadaver bone. However, it is possible my dr may have to do a two level fusion.

Time really does not matter to me, but I am just looking for some sort of guideline that I can tell my family. I will be driving myself to the hosp, my preferance really my children need to have their daddy home to calm them too.

my precert is next week, and i will be measured at that time too for both braces, just in case my surgery becomes more involved than just single ACDF.

thank you !

• Hi swim-mom.

My surgery was scheduled for 8:00am. We arrived at 7:00am, surgery began at 8:00am, it was done at 11:30am, woke up in my room sometime in early afternoon, and was released from the hospital at Noon the next day.

So, my surgery, for a 3-lvl, was 3-1/2 hours - not too bad, really.

I'm sorry you have to drive yourself to the hospital - I was so nervous that I don't think I could've. As it turned out, the anticipation of the surgery was much worse than the surgery itself - I know that doesn't help, but you'll probably say the same thing after it's over.

Because I was nervous leading up to the surgery, my surgeon prescribed some Xanax for me which really helped. Don't be afraid to ask yours for something if your feeling too shaky. I think they're used to it.

Take care and feel free to PM me if you have questions or just want to talk.
  • I also had a 3 level ACDF and I went into surgery at 11AM and was done by 3PM - so 4 hours. I was out of the hospital next day by noon. I agree with Cath the anticipation was worse than the surgery itself. I made out fine you will be fine...

Good Luck!!
  • When I had my fusion it was C4 to C6 and I was awake and in my room by 1130 am. I went in at 6am and was in operating room by 7am. It takes them time to prep you for surgery too. They also take xrays. My sister had a single level done and it took 2 hours after they prepared her. She went home same day. I had to stay over night for the 2 level because they have to put a drain tube in incision. That comes out next day. So I would give the family about a 4 hour window of time for the surgery. The surgeon will want to talk to your husband after the operation because what he says you wouldn't remember.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.