Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

meydey321mmeydey321 Posts: 2,435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everybody...You won't believe what happened and I am still trying get a grip on things. My morphine pump implantation surgery is postponed.

I was in the room with IV's hooked up, and had talked to nurses and anesthesiologist. My arm where the IV was put in was hurting terribly after it was started, and they gave me IV morphine for the pain. I took another look and all of a sudden my arm had hives all over it, was swollen and red, and I started getting wheezy. The nurses scrambled to take care of me at once and injected IV benadryl a few times. My surgeon said I cannot have surgery because of my allergic reaction to morphine. I was dumbfounded because I was already taking MS Contin ER and IR. How all of a sudden could I be allergic? The doctor and nurses were perplexed but they said under no circumstance to take morphine again. This was the scenario where the last straw broke the camel's back.

I went home with a new script of Oxycontin 40mg 2x's a day and Oxycodone 10/325mg every 6 hours. I was told my next morphine pump trial will have to be with Dilaudid instead or morphine. I have to go through this process all over again, but at least it's a postponement instead of an outright cancellation. If Dilaudid gives me relief during the trial, then I'll be rescheduled for surgery again. I have had Dilaudid in the past in the ER for an ovarian cyst rupture and I was injected with it.

I am still in shock that all this happened. I was soooo close to starting over with a better life and improved functioning. Well, if I waited this long already, I guess I can wait some more. I will be able to schedule the new trial with Dilaudid in two weeks when I see my doctor. I may be down, but am not out.

I want to thank everyone here for supporting me and being there for me. I love you Spineys >:D<

This is my first time with Oxycontin; can you tell me your experiences with it? I appreciate your replies, thank you.

• Is that freaky or what? OMG, it really seems like there was some divine intervention at work here.

I'm sorry that you have to start over again, but I'm sure glad you were where you were when this happened.

Take care and I'm sending a big, but gentle, hug your way.
  • so sorry. but to look on the good side at least they didn't put it in and THENfind out it was no good for your system. maybe somebody up there is saving the best relief for last
    hang in the meydey
  • Wow! That is a dramatic turn of events. How lucky they found it now rather than you having a reaction a couple days AFTER getting the implant.

I took oxy after my fusion and didn't have any problems with it.

I know you were eager to have this implanted. Sorry you will have to spin your wheels a bit longer.

xx Gwennie
  • You're so right- Someone upstairs is looking out for me after all and I realize how dangerous this allergic reaction could have been. Meanwhile I'll just keep trucking <):)
  • I know what it is like to have a last minute "plug pulled" like that, but how fortunate that they did detect the allergy. Imagine what would have happened if they had implanted that drug. You could have died. I hope the Dilaudid gives you relief. I know I found it to be wonderful stuff. I'm allergic to morphine, so I can't take it either.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • How long have you been allergic to morphine? I am still shocked about the whole thing, and also how close I came to complete disaster. Geez, I just took my last morphine dose the night before surgery. How weird is that?
  • I'm so glad you're okay and that you came out of that allergic reaction allright. I was so hoping for good news from you! At least it's only a delay. I'm sorry for the disappointment you must feel. I hope you don't have to wait too long.
    Faith M
  • Bummer about the pulling the plug at the last minute, but wow that was a close one. One thing I learned many moons ago, is that a person can take a drug for years and suddenly one day develop an allergy to that. I had that happen and it really shocked me. The doc told me it's really not that uncommon of an occurrence.

So best wishes to you for a new trial with the Dilaudid and some pain relief in the near future.

• Woe!!!

:O :O :O

This news certainly got my adrenaline pumping!

I am so glad you were in the hospital when the reaction occurred!

I thank God for His divine intervention here.

You know what to expect with having another trial and we'll be praying that the Dilaudid will work better than the morphine for you.

I've been taking oxycontin for 8 months now and it works very well for me.

Take good care, Meydey.

Much love,

Tammy >:D<
  • Holy cow!!! :jawdrop: How scary! I remember I was taking Eurythromycin for something or other, and one day I took it, and suddenly I've got hives, can't breath, and weirdly, my nose "blew up" like a balloon.

Yes it happens that fast, but I am sooooo glad you are alright! Must have been truly frightening, but thank God it didn't happen a week after surgery, eh?

I hope you are feeling better today!
  • Meydey - I found out I was allergic to Morphine after I had a hysterectomy (about 20 years ago). I ended up with hives all over me. Sometimes it just takes a higher dose of something to expose the allergy. We go along with very slight symptoms of allergy to the low doses, so we don't even notice it. Then you get a bigger dose and WHAM!

I hope they help you soon!

• So glad you were in the hospital when the reaction occurred!

From my understanding, Dilaudid is a pain med that they use in the recovery room and I believe it is stronger than morphine so you may end up having better pain relief than you would have with the morphine pump. We can only hope that's how it goes for you. :) >:D<

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • Glad to see you are OK now. Talk about good/bad timing! I guess your body knew it needed to broadcast that it was tired of morphine right then!

• That was one hell of a way my body let me know it's fed up :O And the timing was...impeccable. Geez! I'm still bummed but am glad to not be pushing up daisies. I felt so down this weekend because of the pain. My legs hurt so bad that I couldn't walk on them, and my back joined in too. I was crying for my pain pump. I can't wait to have the surgery so that it can help with the agonizing pain in both legs.

I remind myself all the time that it'll just be a while longer. O:)

PS Thank you Inchworm for telling me about Dilaudid. If it's stronger than morphine, it certainly should help with the pain.
  • How is the new med working for you, or hasn't it had time to kick in?
  • I'm sure glad you're okay and if you're going to have a reaction that's the best place to be. I hear you can develop an allergy to meds you've been on before after I had a reaction to an antibiotic I took several times. I hope the Dilaudid works for you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Haglandc, you're certainly right- if I had to have a reaction like this, I was in the right place. It was so sudden and out of the blue but the staff reacted quickly and took good care of me. I hope I will be heading back to the OR by August.

Kat, so far I'm doing well with Oxycontin and I haven't had any problems with it. It doesn't make me feel so tired and drowsy like the MS Contin did, and I think it's better. Wouldn't it suck if you were allergic to EVERYTHING? Good grief!

Hi Charry, at first I thought it was the pre op antibiotic that was the culprit; I don't recall the name. It wasn't even hooked up to my IV. What a way to find out you're allergic to something...right before surgery. It certainly was a very close call #:S
  • I was allergic to Versed after (but the doctors found out during) surgery. They told me they'd give me anesthesia "light". I woke up with the surgeon sitting by me in a private room. Apparently, if you're allergic to versed, you get combative. The surgeon got near me with the scalpel and I tried to take her out a whole new door. Most folks read that stuff in my chart and won't dare to give it to me again!

• Hey buddy,
    So sorry to hear what you are going through. I'm sorry I haven't been on here for awhile and wasn't able to chat with you.

As several others mentioned, I'm glad you were at the hospital when this reaction started.

I hope they can push the new dilaudid pump trial a little quicker so you can start to get some pain releif.

I too am considering talking to my pain mgmt doc about pain pump but still trying different meds. Still haven't found the right mixture yet.

I wish you the best of luck with this next trial and hopefully they will push it a long quicker for you.
  • Just wanted to say that I'm glad you are okay! >:D<
  • Linda, wow..that's crazy. I never heard Versed can cause patients to become combatant. I'm relieve that it was just that and not anaphalaxis. I know I've had it many times and all it did was put me under.

Hi Ming, it's so good to hear from you. I figured you had a lot of things keeping you preoccupied but you know we always think of you. I hope that whatever you are currently taking is making a difference with your pain. Thanks for checking in on me.

Hey Mommyofthree, thank you and I appreciate your reassurances. I hope you're doing well and I'll see you around.
  • Linda, wow..that's crazy. I never heard Versed can cause patients to become combatant. I'm relieve that it was just that and not anaphalaxis. I know I've had it many times and all it did was put me under.

Hi Ming, it's so good to hear from you. I figured you had a lot of things keeping you preoccupied but you know we always think of you. I hope that whatever you are currently taking is making a difference with your pain. Thanks for checking in on me.

Hey Mommyofthree, thank you and I appreciate your reassurances. I hope you're doing well and I'll see you around.

Well, I have my appt this week and I hope to be rescheduling my Dilaudid pump trial soon. So far I've been tolerating the Oxycontin well and have had no nausea or drowsyness. I still have a hard time getting around because of the nerve damage in my leg and the constant lower back pain, but it would surely be worse without my current meds. I will keep you all posted about how things progress and when I have my trial again. I hope to have my surgery before school shopping time comes up and I will be busy with school orientations, etc. I know it's a 6-8 week recovery post surgically and I hope to be on my feet because there will be so much going on. I am willing and prepared to do what it takes to move forward to have a better life. That's all for now folks.. <):)
  • Well guys...this is it..again. My new trial is tomorrow and it couldn't come a moment too soon. I've been feeling absolutely miserable with severe back pain and nerve pains with muscle spasms in both legs. I'm lucky to make it to the bathroom which is a stone's throw away. Things have to work this time around. I can't stand to be like this all the time. Any improvement is cause to celebrate. I'm so bored, sick, and tired of staring at the walls at home and the tv too. There is so much out there and it feels like life has passed me by. I feel trapped to my bed because it's the only way to be a little comfortable. I'm surrounded by my keyboard, mouse, phone, remote, water bottle, meds, heat pad, ice pack, pillows, and my lazy four legged canine companion (see avatar; isn't she precious?) Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted..
  • YOU AND I ARE THE SAME....SURE HOPE THIS PUMP THING WORKS. i dont know much about them except drs say its not for me. i have endocrine issues and i think thats the reason they tell me the scs would be better. anyway hang in there...try to think positive and get your workout patting the dog!!! >:D< >:D<
  • You have also gone though so much! I am glad you were in a place where they were so quick to react! I hope this next one works better for you! I will be thinking of ya all Day! Talk soon and take care! >:D<
  • Such a terrible thing to happen, and yet at such a good time! I hope the Dilaudid works for you, I have a friend who had it for her hysterectomy as she's allergic to the morphine too.

And yes, your furry friend is adorable! Good luck with your trial tomorrow, I hope you get some of the relief you need!
  • Are on the way for you! I hope this is successful at getting you some quality of life back. It really stinks to be stuck in the house all the time. I'm fortunate that I can get out and do a bit of walking. I hope your recovery from the surgery is brief and that you're up and around and feeling better really quickly. Do let us know how it goes. We're all here on the sidelines, cheering you on!

• For a successful trial. Hope to hear good things next time you post.

• Hi, I have learned alot reading not just what you wrote , but what others wrote.
    As evryone has said, you picked a great place to show your allergy. What I learned from it was that one day out of the blur you can become allergic to something. I guess I will stop blaming doctor finally after all these years of me now being allergic to pennicyllin. I had haves all over, I had thought he had given me too much. Now I see, it was just time for me to show my allergy. I thank you for that.
    Your question was though how people were taking oxycodone. I take it, is is pretty mild. (may just be my dose) but I take oramorph , which is a purer form of morphine (for my migrianes ) and spine, but everyone reacts diff to each med. Constipatition as with all pain meds is always an issue. Compared to morphine, I would imagine you would be feeling some relief in that area, but no relief in your legs. I am surprised they don't have you on something very strong. But, they may be saving that for you surgery. It seems to be working as long as u are bed bound, like I am. So I totally understand the boredom you are feeling. Have you made an appointment with an allergy Doctor to make sure you are not allergic to this new med sooner than the surgery date? Just a thought.
    Keep us posted, God does work in mysterious ways. Looks like he worked in a big way for you. So you must be VERY guarded. I wouldent be too worried about anything up & coming. He did his job for you, when you needed it done. He will be ther to see it through. You are meant to do something, even if you do not know what it is yet. Sometimes, you do something and don't even know the inpact of your words to someone. It could be you may never know.
    Good luck, Take care, and get yourself in as good a shape as you can before your surgery. Read a book, while you pet that adorable dog of yours. Eat well balanced meals, and look forward to a painfree lifr running aroung this big green ball.LOL. Do keep us posted... we are on pins & needles waiting to let the balloons free & start dancing in celebration over your good news. ttyl tc
  • I'm saying a prayer that you soon find yourself off that bed with a smile on your face! Think positive we're all rooting for you!!!
    Faith M