Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Posterior cervical fusion recovery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone.

I will give you some background first. I got into an accident just over 5 weeks ago where my spine was dislocated at the C4/5 level. I ended up getting a posterior cervical fusion.

Fortunately, my recovery has been great. I was off of pain meds after the first week. At my 1 month check up appointment, I got x-rays and my doctor told me that I only needed to wear my neck brace for 2 months instead of 3 months which which he initially told me. I was really happy with the news.

I was wondering how other people are coping with this type of surgery. I know my case is slightly different in that I did not have neck problems prior to the incident. However, I would like to know other peoples experiences with the surgery.

Also, I am a really active person. I love to run. I was wondering when some of you were able to pick up with your regular activities?

• hi shadow, I am 4 weeks post op of a posterior cervical laminectomy. The first week and half were semi ok for me. My neck was stiff for the most part and some lingering nerve pain in my left arm. The 2nd week omg I was in severe pain again. Maybe I wasn't taking my pain meds on time I don't know. Or it could be the steroids wore off too. I began getting into my pool and in the water i felt great. Once I got out the muscles would tighten up big time. I am on 1 pain pill a day and my muscle relaxers and I am still stiff and muscles hurt some. I sleep a lot too. I hear that the fatigue is a sign you have a lot of healing to do, and when your sleeping your healing. I am glad the operation is over, this one made me nervous being cut open by the trap muscles. My surgeon says his wife had same operation and still complains of muscle pain a year after surgery. I hope mine doesn't take that long.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • I hope everything goes well with you shortfuse. I also tried swimming. It seems that it is the only activity that I can do with a neck brace. I will be so happy to finally take off the brace in three weeks. I know that I probably should not do any running when I take it off, but I will try it out and see how I feel. I have been dying to go out for a run lately. I hate being so limited on a daily basis.

I think I would go crazy if I had muscle pains for an entire year. I am already getting fed up after 6 weeks.
  • thanks shadow, I wish you a speedy recovery. :)
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.