Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

POLL: How many people with hardware, set off metal detectors at airports?

LumbarLynneLLumbarLynne Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I don't know when the next time I will be flying but wanted to know if I can expect to set off the metal detectors when going through security or not.

If you have metal (titanium) hardware inside from a fusion, please respond if you have or have not been able to get through airport security detectors.

• After my 3 level fusion, I flew to visit a friend. I was afraid :SS with all that titanium I would set off the alarms and then I would have to be strip searched by a really handsome :* security guard. Oh wait, that is something altogether different.

No, I did not set off any alarms, which was a good thing as there were no handsome...

A friend of mine flies all over the country for work and has no trouble with her back hardware, except in Minneapolis/St. Paul airport. For whatever reason she sets their detector off. They must have their sent more sensitive.
  • Lynne, Hi its Mark
    ever since my surgery 11 years ago ,when I had 2 titanium cages
    put in , I have never set off an alarm at an airport or anywhere else
    for that matter,i would have thought I would have ,but never has
    Mark ;) :)
  • My last trip since hardware was beep & Frisk free #:S
  • I haven't set off any alarms with all the metal in my back. I remember early on when the scanning equipment was really sensitive and the underwire in my bra set it off. Nothing like having a big, burly, 6' tall woman frisk your boobs right in front of God and everybody. Man, was I humiliated!

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Hi. I have had parts put in my shoulder, hardware from a lumbar fusion and recently has a SCS put in. I thought for sure the SCS would set it off. I was armed with my little "I have metal in my spine" card but I didn't set any detectors off. That was in Orlando and Boston. I am having ACDF on July 22...I tend to doubt that that will set things off either. If I do set the dectector off it's because of a belt or bracelet that I forgot to remove.
  • Everytime I go to prison to see my three kids I set it off...JUST KIDDING!

But, I do have to go into the prison for my job and everytime I go in there I set off the alarm.

I am flying this coming Monday, so I'll report back if it goes off.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2