Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

going today to get my date

Rebel YellRRebel Yell Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
:SS hae everybody im going today to get my date for my spinal fusion. i am really scared but i am sooo ready to get it over with. pain is a pain in the a$$ i know that i have great friends here and support. dont care what anybody else thinks yea pain is real really bad at somtimes like waking in the middle of the night :''( and cant get back to sleep so you get on this site what a releve that someone is always here like they are waiting for . so thank you all for being here for me . i know that after my surgery i sure will need you guys . :D and petie dont know what me and my girls without you answering alllll our ?s renee :H ill post when i get home

• Yay! Good luck, and don't forget to ask questions!

• Best of luck! I am having my surgery Monday 7/13/09. (ALIF) I am not as nervous as I thought I'd be....yet! I am sure the nerve will hit me tomorrow sometime. I am just trying to stay positive that everything will go well.
  • i go in july 24 i am so scared and nervous .cidnt relize it was going to take 8 hours . that really concerns me . did it take 8 hours for you guys? i get to go get my brace fitted here soon. he said it can get hot in the summer. big piece of hard plastic in 90degree weather on you oh yea.yea and i smoke so ill be visisting the smoaking forum for help .i wonder how the he$$ does this happen? man am i dreading this im sure ill get through this but its just so new right now . alot to process. kat had my paper with ?s ask everything he doesnt want me bathing in tub for 4 months what the hello i guess thats what i will have to be thankful for at thanksgiving lol.ill be in the hospital about 4 days. well ill be getting the rest of my stuff around in yhe days leading up . yall pray for me please .renee
  • 13 days to wait. we are all with you. i'm sure you'll do fine. what level is he doing. i imagine its a fusion. mine took 11 hours. maybe he can do it in 6. talk with you sunday...
  • That's a LONG surgery, but thankfully, it's only going to feel like 1 second for you! =)) <:P

About the bath: trust me, you don't WANT to be sitting in a bathtub for that long! Just getting up is HELL, even for me 6 months later! I've always been a shower person, but occasionally like to soak, but it just isn't the same anymore, can't ever seem to get comfortable... ah well :<

I'm sorry, got off track. 8}

You definitely want to do your best to quit smoking. Even if you can only get down to half, it will do a world of good for your recovery. Also, once you've done that and then go into the hospital, you may find it's much easier to just stop from there. You will have much more occupying your time by then!

Just remember, until your surgery, try to relax as much as possible. If you feel things are getting out of hand in your head, ask your surgeon for something for anxiety, and if you can't sleep, ask for help with that as well. If you are up all night worrying for 2 weeks, you will be more likely to get ill, then find you have to wait even LONGER for your surgery.

Funny thing... I was so determined to not get sick, I carried a can of Lysol around with me EVERYWHERE for 2 weeks before my surgery. I refused to touch my face without first having just washed my hands, I wouldn't turn a faucet or light on or off without a washcloth I carried around with me. My kids ALL got sick in that 2 week period (my family and our 'right around the holiday' colds...) yet I was so carefull and determined, I didn't even get the sniffles! It was actually quite hilarious looking back, I've never been such a germaphobe! The night after my surgery, I actually felt like I had a horrible flu bug, my neck and throat hurt, I ached all over, my skin crawled, and my eyeballs hurt... but still I had dodged the "no surgery if your sick" bullet! :))(

So, have you gotten all your supplies? Is your family prepared? Do you have your shopping list so you can be sure you have enough groceries so that your husband doesn't have to run out to grab stuff when you need him with you? Do you have your "comfort zone" all planned out or even set up with books, magazines, music, whatever it is you enjoy doing?

I know it's daunting and scary and something you may never have imagined you would be facing, but you will get through it! Before you know it, you will be thinking to yourself "what the heck was all the hub-bub?". Wondering, just what was it you were so worried about?

Hugs and prayers, and once you have everything ready for your return home, try to keep your mind on other things!
  • Don't worry about the 8 hours. You will be asleep the whole time and you will not even miss it. How many levels are you having fused? I had three. I had an approx. 8 hour surgery the first day, but they couldn't get my discs out of the back because I had more scar tissue. They just put the rods an pins in my and sewed me up, Four days later, they took me back into the operating room and took the discs out through the front. They replaced the space with dowels fillle with cadaver bone and BMP mixed with my own bone marrow. That was a long surgery too. I couldn't wait to get out of that hospital and go home. I was there for a solid week.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • 8 hours isnt bad im feeling better already i thought all you guys had like 4to6 hours . so iam normal thank you! im having l4 l5 s1 done 2 level he said . there will be a cut small up my spine and 3 holes on each side. i dont know all the terms like all you spineys but ill learn as time goes by. still a newbie so dont know alot about what to say when you guys post. but i do know that all of you are great.yea itll take no time on my end so thats a plus. he also said pain would be min. i hope so ill just have to stay calm do what dr. says and take my meds on time.ill have a private nurse with me the first week so thats good. i got every thing from the list also. i got my hospital bed fri. so mabe i can get up and down with a little ease. when i ask him about a bath i really meant to say shower but talking about stuff i forgot to go back and ask. were you able to shower as days went on and you were feeling better? man i hope so . well ill keep you all posted renee
  • good luck mon. ill say a prayer for you . everything will be good just think positive and hopefully no more bad pain . thats what im hoping for.take care and post as soon as you can . ill be waiting. renee O:) >:D< sending you a angel to look over you and a comforting hug.
  • I had the same surgery 1 1/2 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did! This was after 3 laminectomies and 10 years of dragging my leg around with a cane, I was losing my ability to walk. Since fusion I rarely need my cane and my leg/foot are so much better. I have permanent nerve damage(not from surgery)so my toes still go numb/painful often.But I am no longer laying on the bed secluded from my family. And I can WALK! I wish you the best possible outcome. I hope it changes your life like it did mine. Let us know how you're doing!
    Faith M
  • I too have surgery very soon (July 28th) and know where you are coming from. Did the doctor advise to get a hospital bed? Mine told me I should not need one and I will "log roll" to get in a position to get out of bed.

Good Luck!