Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

egoscue method

itzamemomiitzamemom Posts: 39
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was told by my yoga instructor that I should not get the disk replacement surgery that was suggested to me today. She said instead, I should do the egoscue method and that will help with the pain as well clear up the herniated disc the Doc wants to replace. Any information and or thought would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Hi! Although I'm a great fan of Yoga (Kundalini is my method of choice), I personally, would never trust my guru over my physician. Yoga can certainly bring a higher energy and good health into your life, but would you play basketball because your coach tells you it will keep you from needing a broken wrist set?

If you are unsure about what your doctor has told you you need, get another opinion, and another, and even another until you trust what they are saying. It's difficult to come to terms with a failing spine, and you need to trust the doctors to do what is right for you.

For many years I was told that surgery was not a necessity, that they would perform it if I wanted, but who would do that with the odds they give? I had ONE test done on my spine: a CT/Myelogram. Nobody ever told me anything about any other kind of tests or treatments for my pain. I was never offered a discogram, or cortisone shots, or even a nerve pain medication, and I never got another opinion. My doctors just kept throwing stronger and stronger pain pills at me, and told me "when your legs and feet start going numb, surgery will no longer be optional. How I wish I'd gone out and did my research, and gotten more opinions. Within the time my surgery was "optional", I gained over 50 lbs, I became less active, and so much less healthy. I feel if I'd done the right thing 5 years ago, I would not be in the predicament I'm in now.

I have no idea if that story pertains to you, but my point is, do the yoga as long as your doctor says it's safe, but you need to do what's medically necessary as well, do it for yourself, your future.

Take care, and good luck!
  • very much for your comments back. They are all helpful. When my yoga instructor said what she did, I was a little peeved and it definitely did not feel right.
    I'm actually on my 3rd orthopedic surgeon right now. He's the one that told me I'm in need of an ADR, due to my herniated disc. According to my most recent MRI, the osteophyte has grown from 3mm to 5mm since November of last year.
  • I would love to tell everyone more about Egoscue Method.

Definitely check out the website if you haven't already EDITED

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla