Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

after Anterior & Posterior fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello everyone,

I had in July 1,2009 anterior and posterior interbody fusion on L3 to S1, with instrumentations. The surgery went very well, I staid in hospital just 3 days because I was able to walk , up to stairs without dizziness or other problems. Thank God everything was very easy, easier that I expected, but after few days at home my legs 's muscle seems stiffness.it's hard sometimes to walk because that pain in both legs. I was worry developed blood clot or other problems. Did somebody has the same experience with legs like me? thanks !

• You have had a BIG surgery and your body has been through major trauma. Fusion is really a big carpentry project that subjects the spine to a great deal of force. I'm not sure what your expectations are, but I think you are doing very well for being two weeks out from such a big surgery.

You will find that recovery is a long, slow process, sometimes involving a couple steps forward followed by a step back. Do not be surprised by this. It is very normal!

I would suggest that you try several short walks each day. It is important to get the blood flowing and to keep the spinal nerves stretched out. This is also useful in the prevention of scar tissue forming around the nerves. So, even if your legs hurt, be sure you walk several times each day. Distance isn't that important. You can ice when you get back, or, in your case, you may find a heating pad more comforting.

When you are lying in bed, you can do "ankle pumps" to keep the blood circulating. Just point and flex your foot from the ankle, and alternate feet. You can also make ankle circles while lying in bed. This will keep the blood circulating and keep blood clots from forming.

For now, limit the amount of time you spend sitting. It is better to lie down when you are not walking. Sitting puts 30% more pressure on the lumbar spine than standing so while you are healing and trying to fuse, limit your sitting.

Sounds to me like you are doing very well. Follow your doctor's instructions, take your meds on schedule, and, keep walking!!
  • Any time you have symptoms that are abnormal, dont be afraid to call your Dr. They are the ones that need to know what is going on. Especially so soon after surgery,
  • Thank you very much for advices. I have appoiment with dr in few days and I will ask about this.
This discussion has been closed.