Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone able to help me ?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
For the last couple of months I have been suffering from a strange thing with my back. I have a upper right hand side ache, under the shoulder blade and spreading to the middle of the spine. It is a tingling sort of soreness. It is much worse when my arms are out in front of me or if I am lifting anything.

Also, the worse thing is my walk, I often feel off kilter and as though I am a weeble. Also when I walk I feel like I walking over waves, sort of up and down, like walking over steps on the flat. My neck is also very stiff.

The worse thing about this is when I get out of certain chairs, like armchairs or car chairs, my walk is MUCH MUCH worse for about 10 minutes, and the middle of my back will ache. Sometimes when I have been sitting in a chair I literally feel like I can't walk, my legs feel very heavy and I feel like I am walking on stilts. It is horrible.

I decided to pay for some MRI scans as I was really getting worried. The brain and spine MRIs came back the other day and I was told everything is fine except I have "thoracic scoliosis". Now, it didn't say how bad the TS was, it just said I had it but it shouldn't be causing me any neck pain.

Now, the doctor has said she doesn't know where to send me next as the report basically said I am fine and the spine is "sending back the correct signals and there is no noticable compression", or words to that effect.

So what do I do now ? Where do I go ? I am finding it so hard to cope with the fact my back aches and my walk is so wobbly. Yes, I can cope with the walk most of the time, but I need to sit down, and the 10 mins or so after getting up is so scary and annoying.

I am obese at 22 stone, so I am not sure if that adds to the problem, but I would just like some kind of possibilities that this could be. I need to direct my doctor to somewhere I can follow this up with.

If you want to see my spine MRI it is here : http://www.storv.net/spine.jpg
Or you can view ALL my brain and spine MRIs here : http://www.storedspace.com/MRIScans.rar

Many thanks for any help and advice !!

• I am new to this site as well and find the people here are very caring and unfortunately very knowledgable. I am so sorry you are in pain and feeling awkward. I went TEN YEARS with doctors telling me there was noting wrong with me because simple xrays showed nothing. I eventually paid for an MRI, even though I had insurance, because the doctors would not order one. The report that came back was a page and a half long! I felt so vindicated! I am telling you this because when I went to have my surgery (triple cervical fusion of C4,5,6) to correct some of the problems they found other issues that were visualized and their removal extended my surgery another 2 hours. They found many bone spurs that were seriously pressing into cervical spinal nerves. These DID NOT show on the MRI and even after the fact when they knew EXACTLY where they were they still could not see them on the MRI. What I had told them for years was "I feel like there is a vice grip on nerves in my neck", and that is virtually what it was.

Nothing is more stressful and frustrating than a doctor (or many doctors, in my case) telling you there is nothing wrong with you. What kind of MD are you seeing now who is telling you everything is okay?? Have you seen a Neurologist?? He/she can do nerve conduction tests that may help pinpoint the problem. 'Nerve' problems can be difficult to diagnose. Find another doctor and bring your reports with you. I made the mistake of sticking with my old doctors for too long and I suffered many years because of it.
    I wish you the best of luck in finding some relief with your problem! -ConnieB