Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Folks

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello everyone,

My name is Geoffrey and I have been lurking for a little bit, and benefiting from the great information and stories offered here.

My lower back pain has been going on for about 18 months now, and after going through physical therapy, x-rays, epidural injections, and facet block injections without relief, I eventually had an MRI and then a discogram.

I have been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease at L2-3 (and much more advanced at) L4-5 and , also stenosis and disc protrusion at L2-3.

I have seen an orthopedic surgeon and a neurosurgeon and they have both said basically the same thing: Tri-level L2-L5 posterior lumbar fusion. (EEK!)

The neurosurgeon can alternatively do an XLIF procedure at L2-3 and L4-5 with pedicle screw instrumentation from L2 to L5.

I am currently on 25 mcg Fentanyl patches, occasional Vicodin for breakthrough pain, and Gabapentin. The meds are keeping the pain under control mostly, at least keeping me able to work.

Well, there is my story thus far. I hope to hear from y'all soon. :)

• just wanted to say hi, haven't got same same probs or any info but welcome, im sure someone will be touch soon who can chat some more :)))
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. thank goodness you got atleast two opinions before making a decision. :? we are very glad you decided to stop by and visit.. please be sure to get all your questions answered by your doctor of choice. :D good luck and keep us informed! Jenny :)
  • Very sorry for the reason you have found us. Nothing like starting right off the bat with the need for a BIG surgery.

There are lots of older posts pertaining to various fusion procedures on the "Back and Neck Surgery" part of the forum. You can run a search and read up on what some people have experienced.

Do your surgeons feel you need to have surgery right away or is it more when you can't stand the pain any longer?

Please post often with your comments and questions. As I mentioned, there are quite a few "regulars" on the board who have had multi-level fusions and can share their experiences with you.

xx Gwennie
  • Hi again everyone. Thank you for the replies.

I saw my Neurosurgeon on the 23rd, and he says I should wait as long as I can stand it. We went over all the issues again and he was very open and frank with me. I appreciate his candor.

I have been pretty bummed out since I was basically ready to commit to surgery.

Not sure what else to say. /blah
  • Welcome - sorry that you had to find us, but glad you posted.
    My issues ocurred more than 25 years ago, DDD and all. They never found the Stenosis or facet joint problems until 24 months ago. And that was after 2 years of regular [monthly to biweekly Dr visits]

So - I am relating to let you know that some of this can progress slowly too. I have been down the surgery road and when I got to the surgeon 3 years ago, we both agreed to leave it, because my issues are degenerative and there is not much that can improve that at all. I would need a replacement spine, LOL -"I'll take the one on the left" picturing myself at the Spine Store.

I think all of us, would like to have aquick answers and treatments and this is one thing I have found that limits me. There are no quick answers and no quick treatments, it is a learning process that changes each and every day. To be flexible, would be my best advice to anyone.

I hope you are feeling better and are finding some answers to your issues.
  • Thank you Centurion45.

I like the idea of "The Spine Store". :)

I am getting my head around it slowly. Seeing my pain management doc next week to figure out a longer term plan.

I will try to remember to be flexible (and should be considerably more flexible without a tri-level fusion, hahaha).