Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck pain 1 yr after c5c6 fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi i am new to this forum so let me introduce myself and relate some history.
Last July I was in a bicycle accident (jumping ramps)and
fractured my spine @c5c6 and had a fusion with a graft from my hip.
The surgery went great and I had a pretty easy recovery.
For about 8 months when I move my head I have been experiencing sharp pain at the base of my skull and I can hear what sounds like popping and audible squirting sounds, along with what feels like electrical jolts running down the length of my spine
Is this normal?
I never thought that i would be the same but pain at the base of the skull?
has anyone experienced this hydraulic or squirting noises?
I am making a appointment with my neuro-surgeon.
But i would value opinions.
Richard (graybeard)

• Hi Richard and welcome to spine health.
    My surgery was done about 5 months ago.
    For approx.3 months after surgery I didn't hear nothing coming from my neck.(always did before surgery)lately my neck has been making some strange noises and at times it will hurt with the cracking,popping and scraping kinda sounds.I don't get the shocks going all down my spine but do get them in arms and hands. In my situation I must be very careful because above and below my C6-7 area I have bad disc's My spinal cord is one of my biggest issues.(enough bout me)

Curious though if the shocks going down your spine and at base of neck is when you bend head forward or backwards.
    I have had rechecks with my surgeon @ 6 weeks, 3 months with x-rays & extra MRI. (I'm fusing a bit on the slow side) I will go back to him @ 6months, 9 months and then in a year after surgery.

Since its been a year into your surgery,it seems to me that seeing the N.S. would be the way to go to make sure things are healing nicely and make sure nothing else is going on.
    I'm not sure if I helped you with your question but thought I would try.
    hugs to all........Patsy
  • thanks ladybug for taking the time to reply.
    in answer to your question about forward or back movement,
    any movement in any direction will cause the fluid noises and 5 times out of 10 i will have the shock down my spine and occasionally a flash in my vision.
    I suppose that because my surgery was the result of severe trauma that I could have other vertebral injuries.
    although my surgeon did not comment on any other damage.
    thanks again for your comments and good luck with your recovery!!!
    Richard (G.B.)