Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

No releif and no answers

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Lower Back Pain
For 1 year I have had severe lower back pain in the L4 area. It started for no reason. I had not been in a accident or did anything to cause a problem. I work at a desk and i have one of the best ergonomic chairs available. I have had a ergo evaluation on desk and chair . Sitting down is what hurts the most. I have pain on both sides of the spine and also have pain that i feel is in the bone right at the L4. I have had a MRI 1 year ago which revealed nothing.

I started taking Hydrocodone for 2 months and then took oxycodone 3/325 until beginning of this year. They moved the dosage to 5/325. They tried oxycontin and it made me sick. I am now taking ms-contin (Morphine) and 3 oxycodone a day plus aleve and it is not taking away the pain to where it is barable. I have had a Rhizotomy on the left side of L4 and I have had 5 epiderals to the L4 and 6 branch blocks, a tens unit and physical therapy and a chiropractor. I have taken Alyrica and that has no effect.

I am at a loss of why I am not able to find a doctor to find out why I am in pain. I seen a surgeon who would not do exploratory surgery as I have read some doctors have found bone spurs that have not shown up on the MRI. It is worse when i wake up in the morning and sitting at work .

• I understand how you feel when the Drs don't want to touch you when they don't understand where the pain is coming from and why it's not seen on an MRI. Have you gone for a 2nd opinion NeuroSurgeon or OrthoSurgeon? I had similar pain and I was given facet joint injections and trigger point injections that helped with the pain and movement. I've found a heating pad on helps the pain also. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had a 2nd MRI last week and see a new M.D doctor that is known to be very good. I see him the 20th and will get results of MRI. Although I suspect it will not show anything . However it is highly possible that he will send me to a Orthopedic doctor and I pray that they can find the cause. Pain doctors do not really help you find the issue , they help you deal with the issue.

Heat feels good but it is only effective if i follow it with ice. But not a long term solution. I am only 42 years old and not many options for increased dosage of the pain medications .
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome. I'm sorry that you're having such a hard time getting help for your pain. I know how frustrating it can be to feel like the doctors won't listen. I hope you can find someone to help you. Have you tried PT? Take care and good luck.

• a few questions

do you have arthritis

what makes back feel better

are you in good physical shape

how old are you

have you had acupuncture yet

thanks, pete
  • I have arthritus on both edges of the l4 bone, but not enough to cause the pain my old M.D says . It feels best lying flat on my back for the first hour then starts hurting from lying on my bed . I am 6'0 and 240 pounds. I was approx 225 pounds before the pain . I am active in the yard in the summer and I do extrenous hunting in the winter in a hill terrain type forest that gives me good cardio.

I am 42

I have had chiro and physical therapy. The chiro helped me sleep better at night but has not removed the pain . the physical therapy made me hurt even worse and I had stopped after 3 visits. I thought chiropractor is the same as PT. Chiro will force the spine in place as PT will manipulate it in place.
  • well the good thing is it doesnt sound like serious problem. of course that doesnt help your pain.
    the chiro guy tries to snap or manipulate your spine into alignment. their theory is that poor alignment causes back pain and pressure on the nerves.
    the physical therapy is geared to strengthening muscles in the stomach and back to better support your weight. you mentioned last that your pt therapist was trying to manipulate you in order to fix problem. all the phys. ther. people i've seen have had me do exersises to either stengthen or stretch the spine, stomach, legs and butt. my gut feeling is that a good physical therapists who gives you exercises you can also do at home might be helpful.
    another possibility might be a stretching class. i remember years ago when i was having back pain i enrolled in a stretching class and i couldn't believe how much stronger and how much less pain i was in.
    i don't think it would hurt you.
    acupuncture has been proven to help people with sore backs also. it cant hurt you and it might take the strain off your back and also help you relax.
    just plain walking can also help.
    i guess it's a trial and error thing.
    there's a lot of info here on the spine health web that talks about exercise.
    you and i are the same weight. just a few pounds off like getting back to 225 might also help.
    well, enough said..i have to get down on the floor now and do some stretches...
    best of luck

• Thanks you for the advice.
  • Not all chiropractors will practice the same way. I would try Active Release Techniques EDITED It Is soft tissue specific technique that breaks up adhesion/scar tissue and is very effective, PT's also do this. Also I would try some Pilates EDITED

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla

• I'm sorry that you are having pain and don't know what the the exact cause is. I understand how that can be very frustrating. Has your doctor ever mentioned that you have mild DDD (degenerative disc disease) going on? It can be seen on a normal x-ray. Sometimes MRI's miss things and doctors will order a ct myelogram. If necessary, they can also order a procedure called a discogram which is a provocation test to find the disc that is generating the pain. It's up to your doctor to order these procedures if he thinks is necessary. If you continue to have more pain they must reevaluate you and do further investigating. Take care
This discussion has been closed.