Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone have success?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
I was just wondering if anyone has had sucess with chiropractic care for DDD? I am seeing one just recently due to some pain in my chest and hip. He describes it as "Subluxation causing nerve interference and pain complicated by DDD (phase 2) with progressive damage over time."
He has mapped out a Schedule of Care and at 3x a wk for 4 wks, 2x a wk for 4 wks, and 1x a wk for 4 wks with Ins only paying $300 twards chiropractic, it will cost me $1420 out of pocket. Could someone give me some advice on if this would be a good starting point?
Thanks, Sally

• How does your Chiro know what's wrong with your spine? Have you had an MRI? Or are you just buying him a new boat?
  • and$. you'd be better with physical therapy. i never got more than a temporary relief from chiro.
  • I'm younger, and it seems that form what I've read dr's dont have much help for me and for those that have gotten back surgery have had it turn out bad, have to have it done over or had to have more done. That sounds more time consuming and costly than 3 months of visits and $1400. Yes, I may have to go back every month after that, but at $60 per visit, I think that is much more manageable than having to take time off for surgeries, applying for short term disability, all the other paperwork, dealing with ins, the possibility of losing my position if not back to work on time, or permanent disability.
    Just trying to see if there possibly is anyone pout there who has gone through it. I plan on doing the ct scan or MRI with the GP but just reaching out for information. Yes I know there are people may who think I'm stupid for even considering chiropractic, but I've gotten alot of help from them before and so has my parents. I was hit head on by a drunk driver, 10 years ago, and chiropractic did wonders!

The article in my post above has good information, if you're interested.
    Here's a quote from Wikipedia - "Often, degenerative disc disease can be successfully treated without surgery. One or a combination of treatments such as physical therapy, chiropractic manipulative therapy (CMT), osteopathic manipulation, anti-inflammatory medications such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, chiropractic treatments, traction, or spinal injections often provide adequate relief of these troubling symptoms."

• http://www.spineuniverse.com/article/degenerative-disc-disease-chiropractic-4666.html

- and yes, on the new boat, Maybe he'll take me out in it. Wait, :| a boat for $1400.... maybe not /:)
  • I would wait until you have the results from the MRI first. With a disc injury a Chiropractor shouldn't touch you as my Chiro didn't adjust me at all but gave me TENS treatment only and massage from the Massage Therapist that works there. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Chiro helps me for my DDD..plus I swim laps
  • i'm the guy who claimed he got no benefit from chiro. i did use one for over 10 years. i found that relief would last a day or two. but i found no long term relief.
    i see that youre adding up the expense. i'll tell you if you want your best bang for the buck try the exercises listed for ddd on this web site. at no cost i dont think there is a better benefit. another low cost alternative would be a stretching class or swimming.
    the estimate of 120 each vitit to chiro sounds aufully high. the fact that you have had benefit from chiro in the past im sure makes you comfortable with that sort of treatment. it is a personal consideration and i think youre doing the right thing avoiding surgery.
    your symptoms dont sound too bad.
    strenghthening your stomach and back muscles are probably your best bet for beating long term back pain.
    i find that i can cut the pain from the back by just squeezing my stomach muscles. this is proof to me that it works.
    i envy your position of being able to stop further problems in the future. and i hope your goal is achieved by conservative treatments
    best of luck to you mrsibarra