Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI, blood in spinal canal fluid?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Is that blood or just bad image?

• Sorry, but I think that's a question for your doctor. That I am aware of, nobody here is qualified to read your MRI. That being said, I don't even see what you are referring to.

If there is anything to indicate something is extremely wrong, I would think your doctor would call you about it immediately. But, if you are worried, it can't hurt to call him either!

Good luck!

• I believe you are freaking out about the dark enlongated 'mass' following your vertebra or spinal bones---this is your spinal cord. Its where its suppose to be. This isn't a 'reading' ---just a bit more sophisticated understanding of the anatomy on images.
  • I thought the spinal fluid is supposed to be clear throughout. What concerns me is the dark cloud in the spinal fluid that is consistent through all layers of MRI. Also the spinal cord basically touches the wall in thoracic region does that cause problem or is it ok?
  • I can't help you with your questions other then speculate that you are a bit flexed from lying down for the imaging which would push the canal back at the stongest lordosis or natural curve. You are going to drive yourself crazy trying to get people on here w/out professional qualifications or background to help you read the images. Its not fair to you or any member. Its magical thinking to assume people with spine pain or problems can form professional opinions. Unfortunately we all come here in hopes of better understanding of our pain problem. We're anxious and our doctors have little time and may possibly not understand our pain problem and can't read images themselves. They simply sift thru the radiologist report and look for findings they were told were bad things when in med school. That said, I can tell you I've seen a lot of ugly cervical spine images and yours IMHO does not look too bad! PS Body parts that are fluid filled or air filled are radiolucent and show up as dark areas on images. Now go get an appointment with a qualified spine care doctor that keeps up on the lastest research and understanding of spine problems.
  • I know the probability to get an insightful reply is low on these forums but hey it's worth a try isn't it? Nobody is really qualified or not qualified to make an assessment, they are just more qualified & less qualified. The more qualified they are the higher probability you get accurate information but it is never 100%. If you turn a blind eye and just go by what the so called experts tell you more often then not you will be steered towards disaster. Only you know your body best and can use sensory input to make the most accurate assessment possible.
  • If someone were to try and give you advice on this and they are incorrect, you may focus your attention on something that just isn't there.

Please wait for your doc to give you an interpretation of your MRI.

• The best "we" can do is to help you support and advocate for yourself. I hope you can tell I was poking at you in good fun but also with caring concern. Sometimes it can be helpful for others to give us objective insight into how we might better help ourselves get the best care. Anyway I'm glad you seemed to understand where I was coming from!

Too bad they don't factor in a patients anxiety about findings immedietly post imaging and perhaps add in an extra urgency factor for geeky types. They could offer a post imaging counseling and mini read-in session with the patient right in the radiology dept. Probably save the industry, employees and employers billions!

Alas, be careful as to where you are looking to seek out certain answers. Also be weary of overly simplified answers to what are likely complex problems that need careful scrutiny by qualified professionals. Its easy to become misguided through information overload.
  • I have to admit too, that i look at my films on the computer, try to compare to pics i see on line and then Diagnosis myself. Like the movie "I see bad discs".

I am sure like most, I wish to see in black and white, the actual pic that shows why I am having all my pain. It is validating. I know for me, it makes it easier to explain to those who ask and eases my mind, and soul regarding medication when there is a specific explanation to everything.

You didn't mention when your doctor appt was that will review these films with you. I hope that it is soon, so that you can have the professional explanation of what you see your self.

Best of luck to you -pfm
  • Following are some images to help you understand the anatomy of the spine on cervical MRI.

As others have states, we can't give opinions pertaining to your mri. I understand your need to know. I have made the mistake of freaking out about a radiology report after an MRI. Once I saw my surgeon, he put things into pespective and it didn't seem nearly as bad as the report made it out to be.

One thing to note when looking at your images and trying to compare is there are many different slices, and each slice changes the clarity. The doctors are trained to read these, whereas we non-medical people only learn from our own experiences. One slice may look really bad but then as the imaging proceeds the reading changes, so try not to worry too much about what you are seeing.

I do think it is good to see your images and report before you see your surgeon because then you are prepared with questions to ask. Your doctor can then explain what you are seeing.

I hope your appointment isn't too long away. Good luck!

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!