Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2wks post op C4-6 ACDF much pain please advice!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all I am sorry to bug everyone again but this is just got me a bit worried!
I did a bad thing first off, have a brace and supposed to wear it when not sitting in chair or bed and took it off two day ago cuz couldnt stand it. (please dont yell hubby already did). Before that tho about 3 days ago pain was so bad in surgery area burning intensely and STILL have numbness in first finger and thumb is this all normal? My boss is ajerk and wants me back to work next week I work at a puter all day and do phones and can barely sit here to type this without the pain and YES brace on now. I am just terrified something isnt right. I see the NS this Wed for my two week and worried he will push me back to work.
I am trying to walk about 1/2 mile a day but very hot here so its hard to be in heat.
Still taking percs twice a day and valium to make it at least 4hrs of sleep. Sleeping past that impossible.
Good note I do notice pretty darn good sideways movement but up/down FORGET IT!!! hurts like heck. Still really hard to eat solid food too. Am so dying for a Gryos! LOL or shoot anything thats not icees or ensure lol.
Have not been in car as pre-op care stated so am very blue and sick of being here lol.
Is this normal healing? Should I be concerned about the numbness? Pain normal?
thanks for ANY and all advice just needed someone who has been thru this to feel my pain so to speak.

OH one more thing, guy coming tomorrow for sometype of bone sitimulator? What the heck is that for????

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I also am 2 weeks post op from accf for c4-7 and I am feeling similar to you and according to my doc I am right on schedule. Some days better then others. One day I have little pain and the next day I can not get out of bed. As far as work goes if you are not ready to go back DON"T. Tell your doctor you are not ready yet. When I was discharged from the hospital I also was given a bone stimulator. I wear mine 4 hours per day and it helps the fusion process. Completely painless although not very attractive,lol. Great conversation piece though. Everyone wants to know what the heck it is. I wish you the best of luck with your recovery and remember to take care of yourself and do whats right for you (not your boss).
  • I had just 1 level done 11 months ago. At 2 weeks I felt a lot like you. I was not ready to return to work either. My jerk of a boss pressured me hard to return to work. No I was not ready. Yes I did return though at 2 weeks. Not the best thing to do. I would take all the time needed for you to properly heal. You will get better just give yourself some time & don't push it.
    Take care >:D<
  • Bethyann, I think you probably answered your own question...LOL...stay in the brace! It will help you heal properly and with the pain. Walking is good, but, don't push yourself, with your neck brace and the summer heat, try and do it early and late. Stay ahead of the "curve" with your pain meds. I am 3+ mos. post-op acdf c5-7. Other than your "set-back" I think you are going to start feeling noticeably better over the next week or so. It seemed that by the 3rd week for me I was much improved. Maybe a short car ride to the mall for some walking? It did me a lot of "good" to get out. Do what you can to start feeling "normal" again...eat your favorite food...small bites..If you are sitting and want to take a break from the brace, try one of those airline neck pillows. Hope you feel better soon, good luck and feel free to PM me if other questions. Olivia