Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question Pain medication

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:33 AM in Lower Back Pain
I was just diagnosed with DDD at 27 years old. Was woundering what was the best relief people had on what pain medication? Going to see a neurosurgen this monday and wanted to know my options for pain medication? The last thing I want is surgery and would prefer pain mangtment to surgery. Any comments would help. Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD) is probably the most mis-understood Spinal problem. In reality, DDD is really the aging of our spines. By the time most people reach between 25 and 30 some signs of DDD will be present. DDD can happen earlier and more severe due to:

- Trauma
    - Spinal Surgery
    - Genetic Preconditions

Fortunately, surgery is required only in severe cases of DDD which is not that common. DDD can be managed through an approved exercise program and NSAIDS.

As Paul previously stated there are so many different types of medications ranging from narcotic pain medication to sleep aids. Your doctor is your best source when it comes to determining your initial action plan.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hi I am 29 and have been diagnosed with L4 AND L5 disc bulging with DDD and also slipped disc in the L5 region. I have taken pain meds. but I am not getting belief or relief from my doctor. I have been suffering for over 2 years now with severe low back pain. I have referral to a surgeon in several more weeks. did you have your appointment? What did they say ?
  • My appt. is on monday the 20th. I was in a car accident about 3 years ago. About six months after I noticed my back problem. I was in college all day at the time and noticed that my tail bone started to hurt when I sat at desks to long. Went to my gp and the the sent me to a back doctor. Because of the insurence I had at the time it was a county hospital that I was going to. Not the best care. Last year in march(08) I went for a MRI. None of the problems I have now were present at the time. So I wounder if all this showwed up in the last year or not? i dont know. Was diagnosed last month by x rays. Went for two series of injections in my back in 08. I was told that I could only have 3 injections in 5 years. So I never had the third. Was putting that off in case I needed it again. Was fine for a while, but recently(about the last six months) have had severe pain in my right hip. Every step every postion is painful. Except when I lye down. Had a changge in insurence so now I hopefully will get better care. But it seems that most doctors dont want to give me anything for pain. Been surviving from friends that get scripts. I know I shouldnt be getting medication from friends, but I dont have much of a choice right now. With all the other health problems I have it seems that doctors dont like the fact that i am some what educated in the health field. I have had health problems now for over 11 years. Also going to college for nursing. I tell them I know my body then they do and they take offence. This has been an on going problem for 2 and a half years. I hate it. Seems that I have to argue with them to get the point across. After a while I just want to give up. I know people that have had surgery and they were never the same, so i dont want to have anything like that done. Not yet at least. I am to young for that. So i am at the point that all I can do is go see this new doctor who is a neuro surgen and hope that he will help me with the pain. I dont know what else to do.
  • {Been surviving from friends that get scripts. I know I shouldnt be getting medication from friends, but I dont have much of a choice right now...} please be careful takeing your friends pain meds,it isnt a good idea.....doctors that do prescribe pain meds,know what our condition is,and then prescribe the right doseage....
  • Finding a good gp or primary Dr. who will listen to you is important. They would help you out with meds. It's true some Drs don't like being told what to do as I know being a Nurse for 21 years but when they ask about your pain ask what they can do to help and they should give the right treatment. It's good to have medical knowledge and it will help with your chronic pain but when I went to my Dr. several times and explained the back breaking pain she increased my meds until I feel the pain is tolerable. Good luck with your appointment and hope you can get some pain relief. Also epidural injections could be more often Try to get a 2nd opinion Pain Management Dr. Tke care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I have severe DDD in my L4-S1 discs and I'm in my mid thirties, so I know how bad the pain is. I understand where you're coming from but I must also agree that taking other people's scripts is not a good idea. I'm glad that you have an upcoming appt soon, and I hope he gives you medication to help with the pain. Have you tried using ice, heat, and an NSAID? If your doctor gives you meds, your best bet is a combination which includes a pain reliever, muscle relaxer, NSAID for inflammation, Lyrica for example for nerve pain, and a sleep aid. Most of us rely on several meds to deal with each aspect of our chronic back pain. I hope things go well at your appt and that you get the treatment you need. Take care
  • As far as getting medication from friends, I always know what I am getting and the dosage of the medication. I have been extremily careful about that. My old gp would only give me lidocaine patches and nothing else. Not even NSAIDs. It was terrible. They did nothing for me. The pain I have is like it is in the bones, not the top of my skin.The new gp that I have gave me a script for flexorals, but the only take the edge off. I have terrible musscle spams for the first half an hour when I lay down. The problem I have now is that when i go to see the surgen on monday, when he asks about the pain, should I tell him that I have been surviving off other medication? That I think just looks bad, but how else do I tell him that I have been coping that way? What do I do?
  • oh boy, I won't tell anyone what to do! But taking someone else's meds is illegal. This is not a judgement of you, just the stark facts. Please be careful! Go back to your MD and ask to have the pain treated.

I have had pain for more than 2 decades, almost constantly and yes - I have had Flexer? - it is a muscle relaxant, not a pain-killer. It gave me some severe unwanted side effects.

For the pain - I went through more than 14 years of trying different pain killers. Starting with Codeine. I used Tylenol 1's and then presented this evidence to my MD to start the ball rolling. My MD still insisted on looking for an underlying condition to explain the pain and this sound like what your MD is doing. When I went to the ER at the Hosp, they looked things over and then used a muscle relaxant first.[I was on 2 canes and could not walk] After 30 minutes they resorted to a narcotic. With this knowledge, my MD switched me over to more appropriate meds. BTW - when I was there - my Blood pressure was very high. This is actually a way to tell how stressed the body is and there is no way to fudge with this number.

Now when the pain gets to the point where it is too much, stop in on the Emerg Rm. They can assess where you are and how to handle you. There is a powerful emotional side to this preception of pain and how your mind deals with it. When I am upset about things, I do find that other pain is increased. I use meditation to detach from hectic side of what is going on and when this slows, I find that the pain slows. [This is not easy and you are certainly right to ask for help] If you can, take time to move yourself. Realize that your body is in a protective mode and will probalby be very tight. It is trying to hold yourself still, but it is just causing spasms and this causes more pain - [my experience with this]

Peace - C45
  • Hello Ashley -

No too long ago, I myself was in a somewhat similar position as you...needing to get medical treatment and pain management for chronic, spine related issues.

In my opinion, your best bet right now is to ask your GP for a referral to a pain management Doc...and just let him/her know that you're dumbfounded right now as to why you're experiencing so much pain.

It also wouldn't hurt your cause to keep a written journal of your pain and symptoms, because not only will that be very useful to a pain management Doc...but it will also show that you're legitimately interested in "getting better" versus just wanting treatment via medication.

Best wishes to you Ashley and I hope this info is of some use to you!

Jeff
  • I also think you should not mention this at your upcoming appt. It will stay in your medical record and cause problems down the road. Just tell your doctor how bad the pain is and give examples as to how it's affecting your life. I took Flexeril before and couldn't stand it's effects. It didn't help my muscle spasms, all it did was knock me out all day and leave me drowsy the whole next day.
  • Thanks, I know not to mention it. The flexeril doesnt do anything. I have been in terrible pain for two days. I have a pars defect and it causes alot of hip pain.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.