Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
hi all i have a HP newish laptop and it should play DVDs but it keeps saying that my setting are wrong? i have adjusted them but still nothing ..i am not very good with computers /so if anyone knows in layman's terms how i can fix it i would be grateful .thanks

• What program are you trying to use to play them? (winamp, WMP, or something else?)
  • hi i am using windows media player and running vista basic 09 edition
  • The default program for me is Windows Media Player. If put DVD in PC starts Automatically. If you want to compare setting can do in chat room so will log in there for 10 minutes and be available
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    or is it just DVD's??

There is a know Windows XP problem that has been around for a long time now.
    The fix is updating the registry to get rid of some left behind invalid registry entries. I can dig up my link to the MS data base that provides the fix for this one.

Straker, you do look a bit different.. Medications doing ok?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Have you tried to play a DVD with HP's QuickPlay?
  • i am not sure about some of the terminology that you kind folks are using registry? and yes it will play cds .i just get an error message up and a suggestion that i should change my setting ..it all a bit strange to me .as i am not too good at techy things
  • windows media player cannot play DVDs video you might need to adjust your windows display settings open display settings and the control panel and try lowering the screen resolution and colour settings {i have done this ..i have changed them from high to low and back again } so i dont know what else i should do??
    (And yes, you have a very beautiful daughter, you are a lucky father.)

Try this:
    1- Start
    2- Control Panel
    3- System
    4- Device Manager
    5- Look for DVD/CD-ROM drives, click on the plus
    If it has a Yellow sign next to it, there is a problem.
    6- Right Click on the DVD/CD-Rom item. Then on Properties. The Device Status should say that the device is working properly. If not, then your best bet would be to Uninstall the current driver
    7- To Uninstall, Right click as you did in #6, this time select Uninstall... It will take care of everything.
    8- Shut down Windows
    9- Reboot Windows and it will locate the proper drivers for your DVD and install them.
    10- Test.

Another thing to look for, depending on the model of the DVD player/recording, some DVD will not play.
    Copied or bootlegged DVD's sometimes never get spinning or started. If this is the case, try a legit DVD to see what happens. Try a few different DVDs/ DVDs are much more sensitive than CD

All else fails, book me on a flight over to you and I will fix it for you on site. (First class of course, Filet Mignon Dinner, Chateau Lafite 61 , End with vanilla ice cream flavored with a bit of truffle oil and a 1955 Sandmans Vintage Port.

• You may just need to update your WMP. What EXACTLY does the error say? Does it mention a decoder? If so, you can download a decoder here:
  • it looks like i will have to take it to PC world for a service as i have just had a phone call from Microsoft as i reported a fault {by mistake } and apparent my mother board is full of 541t! and needs cleaning ..so much for the security pack i have recently installed .they told me that this machine should play DVDs and offered to fix it remotely for a price {100 pounds!} i can get a full service for a lot less ..so once again thank you all .its not a big deal i will get it fixed at the end of the month {just spent a fortune on the new recliner so i am skint!
  • yes you worked out my code regarding 541t{shxx} the laptop is a HP6720s its 12 months old i am running vista basic .i have never tried to play a dvd but the laptop has a DVD re writer on board i do play Cd's on it .the phone call i got from Microsoft ..he tried to do something remotely .he had me type in certain things like pressing the microsoft key and another key then typing in a code after about 10 minutes we got to the stage where a 6 figure security code was required .at this point he wanted my BACK details and this is where i got suspicious and hung up! unfortunately i am not very good at PC techy things and i have a poor memory {something to do with the crash brain injury} so i have been told .i am also getting a message that my laptop is infected and i need to fix it now .but my own security {mc afee 09 edition }says that my security is up to date and i dont need to do anything ! i am not too good with PC talk dont know the jargon too well
  • You need to run the antivirus portion of your McAfee software, I believe security update is something different. Close out of anything connected to the internet, and all your programs, and let it run.

I just realized, you said someone from Microsoft called you when you accidentally reported a fault, but that NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS will happen. Someone has infected your system. Do you have personal information on it? If so, get rid of it NOW. After you find and destroy the virus, you should find a good firewall program, or set up one you may already have (either included with your modem, router, or even Vista: I don't use Vista so I'm unfamiliar with it.)

If it's too overwhelming, you should probably take it in to a REPUTABLE computer shop.

Good luck!
  • my laptop have Trojan virus and other nasties so i will be taking it to PC world to get it sorted out .{i was under the impression that if i had uptodate spyware and virus protection that i would be OK ..obviously not! i am using mafee 09 top of the range full pack..so i dont know why i am having problems
    seem to be software in nature turn out to hardware introduced or worse having a mismatched version of a particular driver for your machine.

- That can happen from a hacker leaving an executable on your harddrive.
    - Hardware starts to fail

There are many anti-virus programs out there as well as Spyware software. I've tested many of them on various machines with different software.

I still believe in Symantic Products (Norton) for both Anti-Virus and Spyware and Firewalls.

Windows has a decent firewall that you can use, but beyond that you do need to purchase an anti-virus and spyware program.

As long as you are going to have the company look at your machine, ask them if they intend to reformat and rebuild your machine. If that was the case, all of your files would be lost.

As Paul mentioned, BACKUP BACKUP and BACKUP
    - Photos, Music
    - Documents (Word, Excel, etc)

If you use Windows straight out of the box, you should be able to locate all those files under
    the My Documents folder.

Good luck
  • Transfer whatever you need on CD's or DVD and,run the PC Recovery tool.Every HP PC comes with it.It has two options.First one is partial,only resets the PC back to factory settings.Second is total re-installation of the Operating System.You want to do the first one.
    This is if the virus hasn't done a very big damage.
    Good luck.

• Got through all kinds of firewalls and antivirus programs at school, the Resident Guru schooled me on the issues. good luck on the viral infestation! My deal is to goin in delete all the cookies and such using the tool icon, then deleting the last back up on drive D, then scanning, defragging the volume, then starting a whole new back up, usually at the end of the month. Draconian? why yes, but it keeps my volume tight and so far worry free.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• my laptop has been fixed by a local company .he only charged me 40 pounds .it needed a new hard drive and windows vista installing and another little tweaking! but n ow its fine thanks to everyone for the suggestions and offers of help