Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test


Centurion45CCenturion45 Posts: 648
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in New Member Introductions
Well, My name is David - I have probably lurked here for a couple years.

I started down this journey some 25+ years ago. I picked up a 5kg box and ripped out my sciatica/ hamstrings. The issue was that I had the standard treatment[bedrest back then] and followed that up by going back to work. A couple months later, I did it again. Sent home with T3's and Flexeril. That did not work and because I should not have had any problems at that age, I never really got this teated. Each successive time I was hurt and it was a 10 when I got to the ER, they just prescribed something else, but never bothered to get to the bottom of the issue. I kept modifying my life and work to accomodate the issues and because of that, I have continued to work, with a lot of changes even up until now. I have exercised,stretched, meditated and guided imagery. I used anger to move my body and a whole host of bad coping mechanisms to keep me moving for all of these years.

Four years ago - I felt like do-do and this had been going on for months, so I stopped in on my MD and kept asking ?'s until he got the point that I was in pain 24/7. Well -been through the list of meds on the WHO's scale and a whole host of NSAID's to boot. Most of them just bloated me up. And other bad side effects. I was kept on T3's and other stuff with Aceta for more than 2 years. I got to the point where, after doing my own research, I was a little concerned about what the Tyl could be doing to my body. Asked MD to get me off it. He did not!
2 years ago - I had an acute episode, pain thru the roof and the back was really tight. Muscle relaxants did not stop the issue and the ER resorted to demerol. Finally, in 20 minutes, I had relief. I was sent home with a script for a narcotic and told to use it as needed. It was a short acting IR. I was back to my MD in 30 days, to check in with him and once he saw that I was on the IR and moving better, he switched me over to ER narcotics. Since that time - I have been on a low dose ER and IR.

I did got through a screening for addiction potential and the MD there listened to where this had begun, 20+ years ago and figured that it I had any addictive potential, I would have been self medicating with Alcohol or street drugs before this to handle the pain levels. Been on the Fent patch - 75's was where I ended up on them and I kept having really bad reactions to them. Got to the point where it was like being on a roller coaster, steep ramp up - and then a crash on the other side. I did not have anything for breakthrough while I was on this, my MD did not know that he should provide any. His only other patient was a Quadripelegic and since she did not move at all, there was no way that the MD would know how to sort this out. I cold-turkied off of that medication in a week. Had the worst pain imaginable, but it was better than being on those patches by a long shot! [Yes - I know - I should not have - there is a lot I should not have, but I did and lived]

Finally - after the patch problems, I was sent for a CTScan. Well - that came back with "Moderately Severe Lateral and Central Stenosis - L3-L4 and some issues at L5. Some more of it found at C6-C7 and DDD and Osteo athritis throughout. That was Nov 2007. My God - at least I have a diagnosis and finally acceptance from the MD that yeh - "you have a valid reason for hurting like heck and oh - because I never believed you for the last 20 years - you also have Chronic pain, because your body has been fighting itself all this time about that too!" Thanks!

So that is my introduction. I always have good days, because I keep looking for the good in each day. It might be only a few minutes at a time, but I hold those things dear to me.


  • That's a heckuva path you had to take. At least you know your enemy now and how to keep it at bay (somewhat). I hope that now you will be able to obtain a more acceptable level of pain relief.

    By the way - welcome to our community. I look forward to seeing your future posts.
  • david...i'm pete. you must have a high pain tollerence to survive so many years with a dr who didnt really know your needs. well finally you have a diagnosis. are you going to see a specialist ? oh and how is your walking?

  • I was quite stubborn as a young 20+- kid and I never saw myself for years as having a "Back Problem". I never wanted that for a label for myself. I guess it has not really served me very well, but it is how I have coped with life at it has come along. Tolerance to pain, yeh! I broke my ankle once, Dr told the nurse to put a sock on it an told me to not run on it for a week. I had been running on it for 4 hours, before I got to the ER, LOL.

    Why am I Here today. I call my lower pain days, days that I have a remission. I got up on Wed last week, had something happen when I got out of bed and I have been having a lot of acute pain since. The Meds are not holding down the issues. I am relying on meditation and movement as I am able to get through this time. Still - I had coffee with my sweetheart today, and that was nice to chat with her. We talked about some of the fear that has come out [My MD just referred me to a surgeon- so it is another step in the road.] Cheers to all and thank you for the welcome! I have to turn off my Tens and move a bit.
Sign In or Register to comment.