Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 weeks post op UPDATE

LumbarLynneLLumbarLynne Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well folks, it is time for my 3 week update. I can't believe it has been 3 weeks!

I had a minimally invasive single level fusion at L5/S1 on June 22, 2009 with 1 night in the hospital.

At 3 weeks post op, I have good days and not so good days - although no terrible days. After reading many posts on the board, I have decided not to rush getting off my pain pills. I am taking 20 mg. Oxycontin 2X per day plus extra Percocet and Tramodal as needed for breakthrough - plus lots of muscle relaxers.

I was having these terrible spasms at night where my body would twitch and I wake up in terrible pain. My doctor gave me a low dose of Mirapex (a med for Restless Leg Syndrome) and I started to take a supplement of Magnesium (I read this can help). I have not had a problem since starting these two meds! I am sleeping much better and not feeling so tired when I wake up - which is an amazing feeling! I think I may have even had RLS!

I still have trouble late at night with my back seizing up so I can't straighten up with pain at a level 10! But, the last two nights I did better. I got up every 20 minutes instead of staying sitting for 1.5-2 hours and that seemed to keep things moving!

Overall, I feel quite good in terms of recovery from the surgery. Although I still feel pain that resembles the pain I had before surgery, so not sure if this surgery "fixed all" although I feel confident that it "fixed some" of my problems.

I am back to working part time. I have hired someone to help with my household chores as they are too hard to do and follow doctors orders. I am already bending a few times a day and I know I shouldn't be but it is just too hard not to sometimes.

Walking feels good but 1 mile was too much, so I am going to drop back to .5 mile for now. I admit I am not really good at "recovery" - I am too busy to not continue in my life after 3 weeks - but I am trying to take it as slow as I can and give myself permission to not do it all!

I don't go to see my doctor until the 6 week mark. Should I see any bone growth at 6 weeks on the x-ray?

They mentioned starting PT at 6 weeks, so I may have to start doing that - I actually wish I could do more. I want to lose 50 pounds and really wish I could start my "program" to get that moving along - but I will be patient and wait for the doctor to give me the clear to exercise more.

That's it!

• Thanks for sharing! You sound like you are keeping a positive attitude and your eye on the ball (for the most part, tsk-tsk on bending!), and that's so important!

About losing weight: I'm doing it the "easy" way. I just cut my eating habits in half. If I normally eat 2 scoops of ice cream I have one, 2 slices of toast, I have 1, and so on. This way I never feel like I'm missing anything. It's something you could try right now if you think you feel ready!

Keep up the positive thinking, and DONT' BLT!!!!