Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Moving, what a hassle

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:33 AM in Pain Management
So I've moved across country, took a new job. My new employer has agreed to pay for COBRA to keep my insurance going. I was on an HMO before and they had to switch me to a PPO for my new state. Finally got everything worked out. So now I have insurance. My prescriptions are about to run out, contacted a new PM, he wants to take a week to review my records that took forever to get from my old PM, I'll be out of Meds before he gets around to reviewing and I don't even know if he'll take me. If he doesn't I don't know what I'll do, if he does, I'll already be out of meds.

I make an appointment with a General Practitioner for Thursday; hopefully I can get that Doc to write me a script. Problem is, people think your doing a scam for drugs. This has been so very hard.

Any ideas?

I'm on Opana 40mg x 2 a day, Percocet 10/325 x 5 a day, Soma 350mg x 2 a day, Ambien CR 12.5 mg a day and Valium 5mg x 2 day.

Now imagine walking into a new doctor asking for refills on all of that, brand new to the state, what would you think?

I'm just about out of all of it. And another thing, I'm on COBRA now, in 3 months, I'll be on my new job's insurance and probably have to do it all again with a different doctor.

What are your thoughts?
advertisement

Comments

• maybe i've misunderstood your situation but isnt cobra a continuation of your initial insurance? would your old dr be able to renew the prescription in your new state?
    pete
  • I'll be moving too at the end of the month, so I can understand what you are going through. Only thing I can suggest is perhaps trying to get them to fill your most important meds or explain what you are on, what it is for, and that you do not want to go through withdrawal. Let them know you are waiting on the PM doc. Other than that I do not know cause soon I'll be going through the same thing. I haven't seen a PM yet, so maybe that part will be easier for me, but with my luck probably not. Good luck!
  • Hi,

What about contacting your old PM's office (before your new appt.) and asking if they could fax over to your new Primary Care doc's office a letter verfiying the prescriptions you were taking prior to moving(to prove you're not scamming)and, of course, bring in your prescription bottles with you.

Maybe you've had a better chance of getting pain meds from your new primary care doc to tide you over until you go to your new PM doc.

It's really putting the people who have a valid reason for taking pain drugs in a bind due to the "druggies" who shop docs for their fix. I found out from my ortho doc that if you've already got a narcotic script from another doctor that you have to make a choice -- can't get narcotic drugs from two different docs.

Anyway, good luck, as if you need more red tape in your life after making a move. 8}

Judy