Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Social Security Disability... Are you on it? Were you denied? Would you tell me your story?

caitycccaityc Posts: 268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have applied for disability, and not sure what my chances are for getting it. I don't have spinal stenosis, or caudi equina syndrome, or anything like that. My disk is gone, and I do have nerve root compression. But my main issue is pain. I asked my SSDI case worker if they look at such things as the amount of pain someone is in, and take that in to consideration.

Anyway, I was wondering if you could tell me:

1. What your condition is?

2. Were you approved or denied?

I know everyone is different, just trying to get an idea.

• I am not on SSD, but I am on SSI. Similar, but different. Here is my story. I am 27, but when I was 16, I was diagnosed with severe graves disease. Its a thryoid problem. Almost killed me. I needed surgery and had my thryoid removed. Found out on top of thst hsd heart problems, emotional problems, blood pressure problems and so on. Needless to say I was, am still to sick to work. I never got any creit for working so thats why I am on SSI, and not SSD. In my case and most others everyone is denied. I was twice and took it to a court with a judge. They want you to give up. Dont. I know it frustrating as hell but that is what they want. The only good thing is they give back pay from the date you apply. When you first apply, you should get a responce with 120 days. This is what happened to me. In the three years I was waiting, I needed money to live off of. I coldnt work, so at 18 I applyed for SSI. In the mean time I had to get government money(welfare.) I was not living with my parents and was not on speaking terms with them. I was under 21 so my parents were still fincaily responsible for me. the government gave me a choice. I had to repay them. I could either make my parents pay it back, or I could take the chance that I would win my SSI case and repay that way. I knew that if I made my parents pay that would cause permit problems. So I told the government that I would pay them back. I won my SSI case and was awarded $12,500 for the 3 years it took for the decision. The government took $8,500. I was so possed but could do nothing about it. My advice to you is get some doctors release froms from the social security office and every so often send them to your doctors, so that social security get new doctors reports often. Sometimes you have to do the work for them. Stick it out. Keep trying and try to find a free lawyer if you can. Try your local social sevcies department. Other wise a lawyer is going to want money. I found a free lawyer so maybe you can too. And dont give up.
  • for all that you have been through. And at such a young age too! I'm happy for you that at least you are getting some income.

I did apply for disability. They checked in to whether or not I also qualified for SSI as well, but I don't because my husband works. Which is OK with me.

The last neurosurgeon I saw told me I was inoperable. Hopefully that will help social security see it my way. If not, I will get a lawyer for sure.