Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ALIF surgery probable

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in New Member Introductions
I am very happy I found this site, I have been reading a lot to learn more about the ALIF and PLIF surgeries. My surgeon, after trying injections, chiropractic, and some physical therapy, has recommended ALIF. Like most people I am just doing my "due diligence" here. I have a herniated disc at L5/S1 that causes pain down both legs at various times and I have constant low back pain that ranges between 3-8. I have taken so many OTC pain meds that I also now have stomach issues. Other than that I am extremely healthy.

My thoughts on PLIF are that I like the idea of a scar on my lower back rather than my belly. It seems to me to be actually more invasive than ALIF with the removal of the bone (I have no joint instability issues) and placement of screws.

ALIF on the other hand requires a vascular surgeon to be present (more $ I am sure) and the procedure takes place awfully close to major arteries.

I have an appt for a second opinion but, I MAY just go ahead with my surgeon's suggestion. Yes, I know it is a very good idea to have that 2nd or even 3rd opinion. I am just ready and do not want to wait.

I have been told by many people that my surgeon, who only does spines, is considered one of the top 3 surgeons in the US. Does anyone know how to check something like that out?

Anyway, thanks and I'll be on here up until and after my surgery and then frankly, I hope never again :D

• How much Physical Therapy and how many injections have you had done? I am looking at having the same surgery soon and was just wondering.........

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please go for that second opinion. :? the more information you have the better!! good luck with your choices and please stick around till after your surgery.. =D> check out the "Back and Neck" surgery forums for more input! :D good luck! :D Jenny :)