Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc replacement questions

coyotewildwomanccoyotewildwoman Posts: 130
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I had a failed lamin/ disc. and am pretty much in constant lower back pain and sciatica. I have been considering my various options.It has been 2.5 years of almost constant pain which limits my ability to work and enjoy an active lifestyle. Need to do something!

I am also looking into a disc replacement but am concerned about the severity of the surgery, they put the device in via your abdominal region which involves moving organs and major blood vessels. The device also only last about 10-15 years ( they believe). So given I am in my mid 40's, it is likely that I am going to need a repeat operation.

Fusion does not seem like a great option given my once active life style, and desire to have one again.

Has anyone had a disc replacement? Any advice or comments?

• triple lumbar disc replacement done here i have never been better aside from nerve damage as a result of disc herniation, not as a result of surgery. yes it is a very major surgery my incision was twelve inches in length from above belly button down through my waist band. the pain was almost immediately removed from my lower back to the front where the incision had been made. once healed i dont even know it was done. it was a true success for me, although i did have a very prominent Orthopedic Surgeon perform my disc replacement. he is amazing in my eyes, he has actually done this for years and even over seas while traveling abroad. he has done as many as four levels. in addition to hundreds of fusions. this procedure is not for everybody i will tell you that, you have to be an eligible candidate. several tests will determine this. good luck in whatever you decide to undergo.
  • Hi,

I would love to know who your doctor was- and that surgery does not sound fun! I already feel like Frankenstein, so what is another wonderful scar to add to the collection ;}

Glad it worked for you!

• Hello Wendy,

I too suffered from lower back pain for years. I had a combo of disc replacement and disc fusion on May 11th. They went through the front and I was in the operating room for 5 hours. I was up walking the next day and came home 2 days later. As I have posted on others, I am doing very well. I just had my 2-month post-op and the doctor said I am doing great and that I am way ahead of the game at this point.Doing better than most other patients who had the same surgery. It was scarry, but I had to do something because life was passing me by. My advice to you is to research and find a doctor that you are comfortable with. Someone who will take the time to address all of your questions and concerns. My doctor was great and didn't push me to have surgery until I was completely comfortable with me decision.He fully explained the procedure and what I could expect after surgery. He said that this was not a cure but an attempt to make my quality of life better.I was told that the pro-disc was good for about 20 years, after it does not need to be taken out but I will notice more stiffness in my lower back, like what you would experience when you get older.I am a firm believer that it is important to stay possitive. I have good days and bad days but push though them with a smile on my face. I hope this helps, if you need any more info don't hesitate to ask. Good Luck!!!

"You can visit pity city but you are not allowed to live there"
  • Who knows, maybe medical science will offer a new solution in those 10-15 years.

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • I have just seen and read this thread, and want to thank everyone for all of the valuable info you've posted here.

I am in the midst of trying to decide how to proceed with my own ongoing chronic back pain which has gone on for almost twenty years. I just heard from my aunt in the US who saw a leading surgeon on my behalf yesterday. After looking at my medical history and recent MRI, he recommended this surgery as being the one most likely to work for me (he has performed it many times with great success, apparently). I knew nothing about this kind of operation until I read this thread, so it was great to have some information from people who have actually been through it.

Best of luck to you, Wendy - it sounds like we have similar conditions.