Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

own bone or cadaver which is best to use

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
will be having fusion and laminectomy S1L4 at the end of August.Any suggestions on which one is best to use

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    I've always gone with my own bone. As Paul stated, it is another surgical procedure. On both my ACDF's, I used my own bone. Both times, the soreness in my hip area where they took the graft hurt more than my neck did. Thats about the only negative I could find about using your own.
    I also made sure I had my own blood at the hospigtal when it came time for my surgery.

I like my own bones and my own blood
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I went with donor bone didn't want to worry about 2 operation sites. Doctor said most of his patients had a lot more pain and recovery time because of donor site than the cervical surgery.
  • I had the left-over parts of bone from my lamina that were removed during the surgery pulverized and mixed with BMP. But no one told me beforehand what was being planned.
  • I had it all! They used my own bone removed from my spine during surgery, they also used donor bone and they also used BMP. I am due to see my surgeon in August and hopefully he will be able to tell me how fusion's going. I was happy not to have another surgical incision to recover from.
  • Ask your Dr. about the grade of donor bone the hospital makes him use. I learned after both my fusions failed that neither grade of donor bone was holding up in patients and that my Dr. went to bat for me after the first fusion failed with the hospital but they told him that is what they keep in stock and that he either had to use it or his patient(me)would have to use there own bone. I had already said I would never use my own bone because of all the people who say it hurts and I went ahead with the 2nd fusion which by this time was a complete different compound from the first that was used. I ended up using my own bone for the 3rd fusion and it worked beautifully and then go figure my donor bones then fused!? The bone they took out of my pelvis never once bothered me and it has been 8 months since my last surgery and it still doesn't hurt or bother me. I hope all goes well for you I will keep you in my prayers.
  • My NS used my own bone marrow punched out of my iliac crest using the same incision as the fusion, so I had no "extra" hip incision. He mixed it w/ something called "Ortho-Vita", a sponge-like matrix material & pushed it into the disc space & along the transverse process (hardware areas).
    I had moderate post-op pain in my hip crest from the marrow punch, but I was glad it was all my own material.
    I also banked my own blood ahead of time, although they used a "Cell Saver" & didn't need much of it.
    I am almost fused, so I guess it worked!
    They don't tell you much sometimes, ahead, so it's best to find out prior to your surgery just what's going to be used, how they will get it, etc. Your surgeon is you best source of info.

It's YOUR body...!
    As Ron says, I like my own bones & blood!

• cadaver bone, but they took some of my bone marrow out of my hip, mixed it with BMP, and sort of spackled the donor bone dowels in. I had my six-month checkup and I am nearly fused, so things see to be going well. Although I only had marrow removed, I can tell you it hurt like the dickens afterwards. I noticed that pain a lot more than I did the surgical pain of the lumbar spine. The hip pain faded more quickly than the back pain though.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • 2006: I had fusion L5S1 with own bone: result totally fused! Only some pain at harvest area for 4 days.
    2007: I had fusion L4L5 with donor bone: result failed fusion; bone rests laying loose and was heavy degenerated.
    May 2009: Revision fusion L4L5 after 2 years of severe pain with my own bone. I am now waiting on a good result.

I think this is a clear test. I hope you will take the right decision for yourself.
  • I also used my own bone. The hip site got infected, after a few days and I had to return to the doctor and take more medicine to get rid of the infection. The site did hurt for a couple of weeks, but my neck still gives me problems. I will be having surgery on July 23rd. on L5 S1 and maybe L4, not sure about that one until I see the doctor on Wednesday. I will use my own bone this time also, even with the problems on my neck surgery, I'd rather use my own.

• Although I have read lots of cons about having bone "harvested" from the hip, I've also read from several studies that using ones own bone is the "gold standard" in terms of fusions IF there are no other contraindications. That's a big if and everybody is different. Not sure what your doctor is recommending but I'd certainly ask him (or her) which method is planned for your surgery and why. My 2 cents worth, only.

Prayers and hugs for your upcoming surgery.
  • My NS's preferred method was to use own bone from laminectomy mixed with BMP and cadaver bone if needed.

Since I was terrified of the added cutting and pain stories I'd heard about the iliac crest harvest - I was fine with what he wanted, so that's what he did.

I am 100% fused now - have been since about Feb '09 (7 mo. post op.)

I did have BMP issues, only inside the spine, no problem with the cages and BMP used outside the spinal canal, but that's another story.

One thing I've learned here - what's considered today's gold standard can easily and quickly change!