Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Doin' a Happy Dance!

MoonbabyMMoonbaby Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I saw my neurosurgeon yesterday for my 4 month exam. He glanced at the new X-ray and said, "Yep, you're fus-----". Then he stepped closer to it and said, "What? When was the surgery again?"

Me: March 24th

Doc: Well, you're completely fused. 100%! I think you were probably fused by the third month, if not then a week later. That means you fused 3 weeks faster than my best patient to date!

Doc: Most of my patients fuse between 4-6 months. Eight months for complicated cases. If I don't see at least 1/2 fusion by the 4th month, somethings wrong. But I don't normally see 100% full fusion by the 4th month! This is great!

Me: What about activity?
Doc: Anything you want... unlimited.
Me: Camping? Fishing? Bike riding?
Doc: Yes, yes, and yes.
Me: Golfing?
Doc: Yep!
Me: That's funny, because I never golfed before! <<drumroll>>
Doc: Basically, I could go in there now and remove the plate... you really don't need it anymore. But your muscles are still sore because they haven't been used for awhile. You'll need to start strengthing them. And the "clicking" is your thyroid cartlidge rubbing against scar tissue when your throat is swollen from allergies. If it gets worse let me know. But it should fade away within a year.

Me: Can I horseback ride?
Doc: Yes
Me: White water raft?
Doc: Yes
Me: Kama Sutra?
Doc: (laughing) All night long!

So it sounds like I'm ready to hit the gym again, and to enjoy the rest of the summer without worry. My doc mentioned that I fused quicker most likely because I'm young, I don't smoke, and I followed his instructions closely.

I told him I thought it was the glass of Jameson's I drank on Saturdays that did it. He just shook his head and smiled.

Put me down as a success story!! Hopefully nothing will change in the coming months. But I always go by the saying, "Just because you get the monkey off your back, doesn't mean the circus has left town".