Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back surgery/360 fusion

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Im having a 360 fusion in a month and dont know what to expect. Do they use plates or rods now? how long before i can go back to work? Can i draw dissability while im out? Do they cut me in the front or the back? Can somone please help me answer some of these questions? Oh and im a new member.

• Welcome Zack,

Your surgeon should be able to tell you exactly what he or she has planned. Fusions can be done different ways. I had a Minimally Invasive 360 degree fusion with 2 cuts in my back. My facet was cut off and used as bone graft, doing this allowed them to do the 360 degrees.

They usually use rods and screws but every doc is different and only your doc can tell you his plans.

You will be out long enough that I would think you could draw short term or long term disability with your company if you have it.

How long you will be out will depend on what your doctor does and your own personal recovery time.
  • Welcome Zack. :O Wow, starting off with a lot of questions! Lynne is absolutely right: you will need to talk to your surgeon to get these answers. Everyone's different when it comes to surgery and recovery, and much depends on so many different things that even the surgeons can't give you exact answers. Once you've discussed everything with yours, come back and do some research.

We'll be here to help you through and share our own experiences with you.

• Well thanks alot. I do plan on asking my surgeon all these questions. Im just anxious i guess, but thanks alot. After my appointment i will let you guys (girls) know.
  • hiya zach im also awaiting spinal surgery im 22 and have a 58 degree curve im having 2 rods 1 on each side to correct it and its dwn the back although in some cases can be dne through the front and side but uour surgeon will explain all this my main concern was paralysis but you gotta think there good at what they do im not as nervous as wat i was im excited now and cant wait u take care and good luck and dont worry