Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi just a question for everyone willing to give there input. Iam 25 years old and have DDD. Ive had an emergency discectomy at L4-L5 because of Cauda Equina syndrome and that was back in June 2008. Then three months later i had another MRI and the same L4-L5 was pushing back in 4mm. Along with alot of other discs.(L5-S1,L4-L5,T9-T10,T10-T11, and T11-T12) These are most of the problematic discs. Anyway now 13 months later Iam scheduled for a 360 fusion on my L5-S1 and L4-L5. So my question is does anyone know if I can get disability through the social security office? I mean can I get it for any amount of time even if it is just from 1st surgery until after recovery of my second surgery(360 fusion) which should be towards the end of August.

• WOWSA! You are waaaay too young to go through this! I know - there isn't a rule book for physical or mental ailments.

Unfortunately, if your are talkign about Social Security Disability, the rules state you have to have a mental or physical condition that has lasted a year or more, or is expected to last a year or more. There isn't a "temporary" fix for disability like there is with an emplyer (short term disability or long-term disability).

The only roadblock (besides your age and I will tell you why in a few sentences) I see is that you are scheduled for the 360 fusion. The disability office will jump on that and say your condition SHOULD improve within 12 months of your surgery. Which I have always thought to be BS. How can they decide that? Well, don't get me started on that tangent!

The reason it is more difficult for younger individuals (and Social Security defines a younger individual as anyone under the age of 50) to be approved for disability is because SSA feels a younger individual with at least a high school education can be trained for another job that is physically/mentally less demanding. Although that is not always the case. Most of the time, maybe, but not always.

This is what I tell people - FILE. The worst thing that will happen is you are denied. If they feel you aren't disabled, they won't have you arrested for filing a frivilous claim. That is, as long as you are not working. If you are working, you will be denied right off the bat.

Good luck Zack. Let me know if you have questions.

Take care, now!
  • I got disability...having DDD. I have lived with it for years, so I qualified. It DID take FOREVER....3 years before it actually kicked in though. Hopefully by then you will be well enough to work anyway! I am going to try to get off of it after I recover from surgery in august....I WANT to go back to work even though I am on perm disability. Good luck!