Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Small veins that run deep!

doofddoof Posts: 131
I had my pre-op today during which the usual blood pressure, blood tests etc were done. I've had trouble giving up my blood in the past and now I know why - it would seem that I have small veins which run deep! I've heard it all now.

I drink loads of water and made sure I had a couple of pints this morning (I've heard this helps 'puff' them up) but nope, they hid away and didn't want to play.

Anyone else had this problem? The last time I went into hospital they had loads of problems getting my blood, eventually the doctor sighed and said 'you will be going home covered in bruises at this rate', I looked him in the eye and said 'so will you'!

• I love your last comment about the doc going home with bruises too. Good one.

I don't know if it applies in your case, but I have found that stress of being in a medical establishment, coupled with the cooler temp they have there, tends to "hide" veins at the most inopportune times. One thing that has helped me, is to where a sweater or bring one with so that I can stay warm and keep the veins from disappearing.

Anyway, best of luck.

• I have had bruises for three months. It is due to ALL
    of my blood protecting my vital organs. Doctors are
    really stressing me out, now. In fact, the I.V. is agonizing. Usually takes a few tries, until they decide that a half-hour is long enough, and double tourniquet my arm and wrist and swim into the vein, on the back of my hand.
    Not very fun, at all! The last guy asked (out loud)
    if I had intentionally hung out in a walk-in freezer for an hour!!! So I told him my profuse sweating contraindicated that, and didn't you go to school?!?
    Good luck with the letting.