Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I would like your opinions

bwithtbbwitht Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hello everyone.

In May, I applied for SSDI with multiple illnesses: severe depression with suicidal ideation :''( , OCD, osteoarthritis bilateral knees, carpal tunnel bilateral wrists, high blood pressure, hypothyroidism, chronic pain, DDD, spinal stenosis and L2-S1 and SI joint fusion with instrumentation, L2-S1 decompression laminectomy.

I used the online application which states an estimate of 30 minutes to complete. It took me well over 30 hours #:S to include all my doctors, hospitalizations, medications, etc. When they sent me the form about my daily activities, I had a very difficult time filling it out because of my medications. There were many strike outs and corrections. At the end where it asks for two people who could fill out similar information, I listed my husband and adult daughter. Neither of them have received anything from SSA.

I just had an IME for work comp, so I called :-C the local SSA office to give them the name and address of the doctor that performed the exam. The rep asked for my SSN and when I gave it to her and she entered it into the computer she said, "OH!" :O in a surprised tone. I then asked her if there was anything lacking in my file or any other information they needed from me (fishing to see if I could get a read on the reason for her surprise). She told me that no, they had everything they needed and they are just waiting on the medical determination. If I have not heard anything by Sept. 1, I am to call back. :SS :SS

OK, I have not had a medical exam by their doctor or a psych exam by their psychologist. I am wondering if this looks like it will be good or bad for me. <:P :''( Of course I want an approval, so to me the "OH" sounded like a good one but I can not trust what I heard over the phone.

>:D< >:D<

• Also in my list of illnesses is, cauda equina syndrome, paresthesia of left anterior knee to great toe and next two, and weakness of left knee from nerve damage.
  • Give a girl some hope. You could at least tell me you consulted the magic 8 ball and it said "it could happen." @) That is about as reliable as SSA.

I guess I was hoping since we only have the one state office they may know by file notes if there was something really important missing for a determination. I suppose I better grow some patience and wait until September. :W

Thank you for your quick response.
  • Now I can think positive thoughts. :))(

In all seriousness, I do appreciate your response. I am just trying to keep a hopeful attitude that if they felt they didn't need to send me to their doctors, my medical records speak well enough for themselves. My thinking on the way the rep spoke was maybe she was surprised that there were no appointments scheduled. From what I gather from other forums most applicants have at least one exam. So, fingers crossed, only good thoughts and hopefully I hear fully favorable before September. :D

Oh, and thank The Great Zenomorphakazapadoo for me. =))
  • I was doing some reading and it said to call disability determination services to check on the status of your claim. It said not to call the state office as they don't know what is going on, and definitely not the federal toll free number because they give out erroneous information 80% of the time.

So I called my case worker at DDS today. I asked if there was any information they were needing for my file that I could expedite for them and what was my case status. She was into several screens on her computer so I apologised for being a bother. She immediately warmed up to me. She got into my information and said that they had everything they needed and were just waiting for the doctor's determination. I asked her if they had gotten notes from my therapist as I had only recently started seeing her. They didn't have those so she gave me their toll free fax number for my therapist to send her notes right away.

The case worker said that I should be hearing from them within 2 to 4 weeks. She told me to call back if I haven't heard from them in 4. We had a very good repore and even giggled a little. I wish I had a face to put with the voice. Oh, and I will not have to see their doctors as I have sufficient medical documentation for a determination. Fingers crossed, toes crossed and eyes crossed.
  • of course no one could know, but looking at your failure to fuse and your other information
    and based on what is wrong with me - I got mine,
    I think you could at least feel like you have a
    good chance. I'll think good things for you.
    I like that you are able to have your therapist
    send in her notes. It's hard to feel positive,
    I know but maybe you'll get yours. I got mine
    in 60 days. Try to think of other things too
    or you might do what I did and over analzye every
    single thing. But it's hard when it's so important.
    Good luck! Susie
  • Yea, I am the over analytical type too. It may have something to do with my OCD. :? :))(

My depression had only been treated by my PCP and every few months he was having to increase my meds because of suicidal ideation. The last time I was in for a med check I was struggling quite a bit more than ever :''( and he said my meds were max-ed out. He decided it was time he insist I go to a therapist. I am really glad he did. My therapist is really great and although I am still struggling, I don't feel completely alone.

I got to thinking, the fact that I am in therapy can only help my SSDI application. Yes my PCP has my depression well documented but it just doesn't seem so bad without therapy. I didn't even think I was that bad until he said I was at the max amount of my 2 antidepressants and my mood stabilizer. :O