Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Swelling and pain

Sweetpotatoe57SSweetpotatoe57 Posts: 97
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have been doing a medrol pak for swelling after back surgery. As the swelling has gone down, and I did not realize just how much swelling was there, the pain has increased. Has anyone experienced this? I have seen many improvements in the 4 days on the medrol pak, but muscles seem to be hurting more. It has been 6 months since my surgery. Someone suggested that as the swelling has gone down, the pressure is off, and hence the pain? Any thoughts out there? sweetpotatoe57

• Is it possible that what you were experiencing prior to the Medrol Dose Pak, was overshadowing the pain you are currently feeling?

I know that sometimes once the acute pain is taken away, all the underlying aches and pain tend to suddenly jump to the surface.

• sorry pain is returning...hope it improves
    heres my thought on your situation. i think they take you down slow as you get to end of the 6 days of doses. they dont just stop you abruptly. so with you taking less steroid dose the pain comes back. not 100% sure as web site didnt give dose of each day
  • I've just finished my second medrol dose pak since surgery. I think you probably still have issues going on inside that aren't apparent as far as swelling, but they are still causing your tissues to hurt. Are you icing as well? I can't live without my ice pack. It's my best friend. I hope I won't have to take the steroids again. They really make me feel crappy.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I experienced the same thing, where my pain increased as the swelling decreased. I think this is partly due to the swollen tissues acting somewhat like a back brace, restricting movement. As the swelling goes down, your weakened back muscles re-gain their ability for movement. Since you haven't used those muscles in a while, any movement will be painful, even micro-movement. Stretching and exercise can help with this.

At 11 months, I still have pain which my surgeon attributes to fatigued muscles.
  • Thanks for all your comments! I have to agree with you Mark! Yesterday, the swelling was gone, I could sit again, and my muscles could stretch better. I also use Ice at least 3 times a day, but I do feel the muscle weakness. My husband cannot believe how much swelling there actually was. I hate the steroids, and I figured they would make me swell, but with all the swelling going down, I actually lost 7 lbs in 5 days. It was just fluid in the tissues. I really hope this works. I take my last pill today. The first couple of days on the dose pak were crappy, but the last few days have been OK. The pain level decreased also, and I found my range of motion with my muscles improved. So, I now have renewed hope! I asked my Neurosurgeon for a Dose Pak back in April, and he said "NO", and the PM Dr. just checked me over, and said how great everything looked with my surgery, and he thought I just needed the "FROSTING ON THE CAKE"!! So, I see him again in 2 weeks, and if all stays the same, I am good to go, if not, he said he will think about a ESI, but really didn't want to do one, only if necessary. Thanks everyone, sweetpotatoe57