Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thorasic Arachnoid Cyst

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Has anyone been diagnosed with a Thorasic Arachnoid cyst ? I had 2 spinal decompression surgeries with associated laminectomies (T-2 - T12). Just curious how common these are and what your experiences have been.

Meds: Duralgesic Patch 50mcg every 48 hours. Norco and Lunesta.

• I have been diagnosed with a thoracic arachnoid cyst.

I underwent a Thoracic Spinal Laminectomy , with fenestration of the cyst and a catheter (t-tube) placed at the lowest level of fenestration to continue to drain the cyst of the spinal fluid that can re-accumulate. That surgery was from T5-T10. I do have the catheter for life. They apparently get clogged easily from what I've been told. I immediately had WORSE pain from day 1 after surgery. The problem is complicated with multiple types of pain in multiple areas. I do have a bulging disc in my neck C5-C6 that is touching the cord and have not had surgery on that. I get severe neck issues ... restriction while turning my head, as well as pain and headaches.

Trying to determine what back pain is coming from where has been questionable. The main pain I was having before surgery was a cramping type pain that would shoot from my thoracic spine under the shoulder blade area and would go into a full spasms if I took a fairly deep breath and turn left or right. I also had a dull aching pain (constant) from what feels like the exact same location of my spine where I ended up having the surgery. After surgery, that increased, with an added pain of Burning & Stinging. Which has been described as more of a nerve pain. I did develop a spinal headache for about 36 hours after surgery due to the suction that was placed on a drain extending from my back to drain, just temporarily during my recovery. I went from a 1-2 day expected stay at the hospital to 8 days. My spinal headache went away when they decided to take the suction off of the drain. Spinal headache ... now "that" is indescribable! This also took place while nausea occurred so of course, that added bonus of throwing up for nearly 2 days. That caused a lot of strain to my back and core ... just after surgery and I often wonder if that has any role in my worsened pain now.. I had this surgery 2 1/2 years ago and have been debilitated since ... in terms of barely even able to do housework and laundry and taking care of the very basic necessities for husband & the kids (3 young children). If I overdue anything, I am in severe pain. Nothing ever held me back before, in terms of physical strength or flexibility or movement. I have never been a great cardio/endurance person, but very strong. The strange thing is that I am still very strong even to this day, even without being able to exercise in anyway (yet!)

2 1/2 years later, I am getting worse and worse. I have a residual cyst that was there soon after from I believe about T11 and down 2 levels. It is not compressing the spinal cord, as IT HAD been before surgery. Overall, no significant changes can be seen from imaging/Scans?! So frustrated. I was on no medication prior to surgery and NOW, just to walk and do normal BASIC things
    Norco 10/325 x 6 daily (I believe)
    Lyrica (Fatigue/Brain fog/pain/etc)
    Diazepam 10mg x 8 hours as needed (spasms)
    Nuvigil (cause all the other meds make me tired...helps me stay awake)

Prior to surgery I had insomnia, now due to meds, EVEN in worse pain, can hardly stay awake.

Hope to hear back on any new developments in your cases (s)
    Andrea Cook