Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

20 days after ACDF c4c5c5c6

Cindyx3CCindyx3 Posts: 144
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm sleeping a lot. I try to stay off pain meds but then I need them. When do you start to feel better? I did drive the other day and that was painful. Doctor told me I could. When I use my right hand I start to have a lot of pain. I was told I have permanent nerve damage. Will it get better or recover or I'm ignorant and permanent is permanent and it's just wishful thinking. Any help is appreciated.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Rest is good, at least you can sleep. It will take quite some time before you will feel as though you are at your "new normal" self. Don't get behind in your pain med's, if you need them take them. I have permanent nerve damage to my left hand and after being almost 2 years post-op it doesn't seem to be an issue anymore, you just accept it. Things could always be worse. Please be patient Cindy, you will indeed get better, how much better remains to be seen.
    BTW, I have severe OA throughout my body which has caused my spine to collapse. Mt latest surgery was a corpectomy, discectomy, multi-level fusion of C3 thru C6, with a strut, cage, plates, rods, & screws installed both anterior and posterior. Indeed I will be looking at more spine surgeries in the future but I consider myself lucky as I am still able to walk and remain very active. I wish the best for you Cindy.
    Take care,
  • I know and I thank you for your help. I like the rest of us have so much to do and just want to feel better and get on with my life. Did your left arm get any better? What do you take for the pain? Thanks!

• You still have to take pain meds 20 days after surgery?

sorry to hear that...hope you get better...
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hi again Cindy,
    My left hand has not changed now and is completely numb & tingling. Have to be careful not to burn it as the feeling in it is marginal. I was on Gabapentin/Neurontin for nerve pain thru my neck & shoulders but the side effects were making it difficult to function with daily activities and job performance. I found that tolerating the pain without meds worked best for me.
  • Hi, Cindy. Looks like we're in the same boat. I had my C5-C7 fusion on 5/29/09. I'm in physical therapy now and back on the pain meds. Today was a hard day - I felt so good after the surgery, but now am hurting bad because of the physical therapy. I also jerked away from a flying water hose on Monday and feel like I set myself back. The doc things it's just muscle spasms from moving too quickly and in a way I probably haven't moved in ages. I don't think I have permanent nerve damage - mine stopped after the surgery. It sure does feel good not to have the feeling of a butcher knife in my upper arm every day! It's just hard because I want to feel good - now. I'm trying to look beyond the immediate future. I hope you can too.