Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upcoming fusion L5-S1 and ? Artificial disc replacement L3-4/My insurance has denied Artificial disc

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello out there!!

Looking fo some advice,support.
I am 39 yr old female Mom of 2 teens and married x 18 yrs.
DX: DDD Lumbar; Herniation L3-4, L4-5 L5-S1 grade 5 tears
Mri,bone scan Discogram + at L3-4 and L5-S1 levels 6/09
Pain and one herniation started back in 1999 and since 2 further herniations.

Have tried conservative methods, Chiropractics,PT, Pain meds, tyl #3, percocet,Dilaudid,Flexeril,Epidural steroid inj x 5-6 over last 2 yrs.(last ones in 3/09 and 5/09)
Pain greatly intensified 1/09 especially with sitting. Low back pain L hip pain and bilat leg pain L>R. Great toes bilaterally get bad spasms,esp. with lying down.

Saw Neurosurgeon in 6/09 who ordered the bone scan and Discogram,spine xrays.
did more PT x 5 wks.
Scheduled for anterior lumbar discectomy L3-4 and L5-S1 with total disc arthroplasty Prodisc-L at L3-4 and fusion and L5-S1 with syn fix,BMP,bone graft in August '09.

The Neurosurgeon office called me Fri 7/17 stating my insurance company has denied the Art Disc stating "the procedure is experimental"

I have researched it a little on line and found that the FDA in the U.S approved Prodisc-L in Aug of 2006.

I am looking for advice on how to fight this without delaying my surgery in August.
I have called my insurance comp and initiated a "expedited appeal" and should hear back from an "appeals coordinator" in 72 hrs.

I have also asked my Neurosurgeons office MD or PA to do a "peer to peer " review with a MD at my insurance company.

I have already had Pre-ops done and have donated my first uniot of blood.
I have appt with Vascular Surgeon tomorrow and give my @nd unit of blood this Friday.

Any help will be much appreciated!

• I fought with insurance for 1 1/2 years and finally had to give in and have a fusion. I am doing well. Insurance companies usually take their time on decisions. I hope the best for you.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. check out the "Insurance" forum for some input on your problems.. :? good luck as you go for your procedure.. keep us informed! :D Jenny :)