Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

have many of you have pain without numbness?

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:33 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Just wondering if I am not alone. I have a mod hern in c56, lots of osteophytes and so on. I suffer my pain mostly between my jaw line to my bra line. I will get periods of "nail in my shoulder" that radiates down my arm, into the fingers. Tremendous amount of pain that is between my shoulder blades into my sternum. All this, but I do not suffer the numbness of fingers very often.

I do have numbness in my knees, and rt big toe....but not that often in the hands.

Just wondering if anyone else can relate to my pain paths. When I spoke with my doc. his comment regarding surgery was in my situation, the numbers are much lower for releiving the problems thru surgery. I have tried all there is to try over the last 2 1/2 years from injections to pt to massage and so on....with no relief.

Anyone have any experience to share....having a really, really bad pain day. I take tramadol and zanaflex for the pain...today it is not cutting it.

pfm
advertisement

Comments

• I use to have numbness in my toes until I had my Lumbar surgery. Now I have numbness in my lower back actually it is in my hips in the back or maybe it is my upper butt. LOL!! They hurt and are numb at the same time. I don't really know what how it can possibly be, but it is. Now I have burning in my little toe on my right foot. It feels like someone is holding a match on it. Do you have that problem also? I am new here so I just wanted to tell you that there is someone that knows what you are talking about.

Take Care and Gentle Hugs (because hard ones hurt), TripleLumbar
  • I would have surgery tomorrow if it would take the pain out of my neck..

My biggest fear is that surgery will only help for arm/hand pain... nerves ect...and my neck will still hurt.

My neck is the only thing that bothers me not my shoulders/arms/hands..

I just want the pain out of my neck and my life back...Dear Lord...

Need more info on this.
  • My numbness/tingling comes and goes. Even though when I first got my MRI over a year ago it showed more nerve impingement to the left I would get numbness here and there on the right side of my body. Still like that. Sometimes the tips of my fingers on my right hand go numb for a few hours or my toes will be numb and then it goes away. I get numbness on my right knee that comes and goes. Now, besides the terrible pains I have what's bothering me is weakness in my left hand. It's been really bad today. I can barely type with it. I also get weakness more than numbness in my right leg. It's weird how it comes and goes for me.
  • bring this to the top again - I am hoping that I am not the only one with lots of pain, but not the numbness down into the fingers.

I have strange numbness other places, along the spine, jaw line - but not into my fingers. Gets lots of pain into the wrist, the fingers definitely into the upper arm and elbow - jsut thought i try in case anyone missed this post

pfm
  • My doctor finds it so 'unremarkable' that i have pain, but not the numbness. I can get the numbness from being at the computer...so i try to limit my time.

I have had carpel tunnel in both hands - way past the point of no return. I know numbness from that - I never get that kind of numbness from my neck.

I jsut wondered who else, seemed to have the same pain pathes - and lack the intensity of numbness.

I can't be the only one.

patti
  • bubblegum why do you feel the need to put up the SUICIDE HOTLINE info in your sig ?

talking with someone about chronic pain will not alleviate any symptoms from a spine issue at all..

honestly if this was a forum for bi-polar or another major depression disorder it would be understandable..but peoples spine can not heal through talking..
  • Hello - yes I have pain and not much of any numbness of tingles. The pain started 2 decades ago or more, sometimes up to a 9 or 10 - and I went to ER to have it managed and then when it subsided, spent the time figuring out how to work and play with it. I always had it [pain] as a buddy, but never found numbness to be much of an issue. I think that may have been why my Dr's never really looked to much at this. I was sporatic in my visits to ER because I was not a wimp about pain, what guy in his 20's wants to admit that anything hurts. I have to say that, that attitude probably single-handedly contributed to my chronic pain issues, many years later when I because aware that there were huge changes in the way my body processed pain. I would be bleeding my injuries to my hands, arms and legs and not really aware that I had hurt myself. I felt it after seeing it, but the back and leg over shadowed any other pains I felt. Still do. As for numbness - now only in my hands - C6 and C7 - and mostly at night. 2 bottom fingers and or the 3 top.

Cheers - I hope you find answers to yours! David
  • Hello - yes I have pain and not much of any numbness of tingles. The pain started 2 decades ago or more, sometimes up to a 9 or 10 - and I went to ER to have it managed and then when it subsided, spent the time figuring out how to work and play with it. I always had it [pain] as a buddy, but never found numbness to be much of an issue. I think that may have been why my Dr's never really looked to much at this. I was sporatic in my visits to ER because I was not a wimp about pain, what guy in his 20's wants to admit that anything hurts. I have to say that, that attitude probably single-handedly contributed to my chronic pain issues, many years later when I because aware that there were huge changes in the way my body processed pain. I would be bleeding my injuries to my hands, arms and legs and not really aware that I had hurt myself. I felt it after seeing it, but the back and leg over shadowed any other pains I felt. Still do. As for numbness - now only in my hands - C6 and C7 - and mostly at night. 2 bottom fingers and or the 3 top.

Cheers - I hope you find answers to yours! David
  • i have had the numbness upon awakening for too many yaers - i guess i never thought about that - because it subsides after the day gets going.

Prior to the carpel tunnel surgery it would last until lunch time...so now with just the first hour - i don't think too much of it.

i guess everything is relative. Having had 3 kidney stones and 2 c sections and a horrible back labor, i do know pain....not always sure i handle it great - but i know true pain. This battle for the last 2 plus years is really taking its toll on me, my family, my finacnces...and so on - just like the rest here.

Just hoping to get to an end ...if that is possible.

pfm - thank you for your responses
  • I had a little numbness before my first acdf and it only got worse until the revision. That resolved and then a few months later I got to the point that my arm would go totally dead and, after awhile, it would wake up with pins and needles for hours. That also resolved after my TOS surgery...for awhile. Recently I have begun to have a rise of severe pain again in my neck. This has gone on for a couple of months and now I often get numbness or pins and needles again when I lay down. I found out that the disc above my fusion is bulging, unfortunately.

Perhaps the reason you only have pain is that the herniation isn't pressing on any nerve roots? As your doc stated, I had little relief from pain when I had my surgery, they just won't operate for pain alone. I have myelopathy which the surgery halted but there was only a little pressure on my nerve roots.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for. This can be a long and frustrating battle, don't give up. Your answer could be right around the corner.

Griff

• Hey Baffled. Mine all started with my arm trying to fall asleep about 20 times per day. My doc gave me antiinflammatory drugs that exchanged the falling asleep feeling for unbelievable pain. It started up under my ear on my left side and went down over my shoulder into my left upper arm and down into my back toward my should blade. I could not sleep on my side because the pain was too severe. Some days I felt like someone was taking a butcher knife into my upper arm from the outer side and just stabbing me wtih it over and over and over - that episode lasted two straight days. The next day I felt like someone was stabbing me with an ice pick from the top of my shoulder. Those were three of my worst days. I could be sitting still and literally feel the pain moving around that whole area - almost like the pain was at the end of a feather that someone was just swishing about over me. I would wince just sitting still as my pain would travel around. My theory - although I'm no doc - is that the nerve pain is what moves about and is so severe. It definitely wasn't muscle pain I was experiencing. I had a herniation and a bulge C5-C7 with bone spurs and just had ACDF six weeks ago. Just prior to my surgery, I started getting the falling asleep feeling in my arm again. They said I had minimal weakness, but the pain - which caused lack of movement - was the biggest issue for me. After three shots to no avail, I had two surgeons recommend the ACDF. My pain has totally disappeared after the surgery. I hope this helps.
  • thank you all for your input - patty you give me hope that perhaps surgery will be something that can be considered.

I cannot move from my head to my bra line, absolutely no rotation for neck or shoulders without major pain!

I can't stay here (computer) too long - it really escalates the pain...thank you all

pfm
advertisement