Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

25 with chronic back pain - the journey has just started.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in New Member Introductions
I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease a year and half ago. It started when I was lying on my friends couch, having siatic pain running down both legs. For 8 months, I tried physio and a range of pain killers and a TENS unit with no improvements and was told - keep at it, it should improve.

At 9 months I had an MRI scan done. My S1/L5, L5/4, L4/L3 discs have all bulged (luckily not ruptured) and are putting the stress on both my left and right leg down to my toes. I also have a disc in my thorasic spine that has bulged and is impinging on my spinal cord. There is no family history or reason behind what happened - just the diagnosis that I have 4 bad discs and degenerative disc disease.

It has been quite hard to deal with changing from a very active lifestyle to now being told that I should not do running or jumping as I shouldn't stress my spine. I have suffered from depression due to the chronic pain and also gained weight (that I am now trying very hard to loose).

I had a microdiscetomy surgery completed on my bottom two discs 3 months ago. Unfortunatly, I haven't seen any improvements and am going back for more MRI scan's to see what is going on.

At the moment I am just waiting for the new scans and information and am looking for like minded people as doing this all by yourself is, after a year and a half, getting a bit tough. If there is anyone else, like myself in their mid twenties, it would be especially be great to hear your stories.

Being told that I should not run or jump is not much fun.

• Hi,

I'm also in my twenties. I had an equestrian accident and broke L2, L3, and my sacrum. I was initially told I'd be back to my active lifestyle (cross country running and horseback riding) in 3 months, but it has now been almost 24 and I still have no good explanation for my pain. I've exhausted all sorts of treatments: TENs, acupuncture, massage, PT, injections, pain meds...It sounds like you've also been working hard at different treatments without much success, and I can definitely relate to how frustrating that is.

Like you, I have suffered from depression going through all of this. I think it is particularly difficult because being so young none of my friends understand what it is like to go through something like this, so there isn't a lot of support there. I think one of the big challenges is that I have been dismissed by so many doctors because they automatically assume that I'm young and that I'll heal...My sacral fracture wasn't diagnosed until 6 months after my accident because my doctor did not take me seriously about the amount of pain I had in my sacrum.

I wish I had great advice for you, but I can tell you that I hear you and totally relate to what you're going through. Thanks for sharing your story, and hang in there. Good luck with the MRI.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. sorry to hear your procedure did not work as planned. :''( it is very difficult to adjust to a new lifestyle when it involves giving up things we love to do.. slowly you will begin to find other things to fill your time.. :? i know it sounds silly but walking and swimming can give you alot of freedom of movement. =D> also, using the exercise ball can work your whole body. have you tried any of the nerve pain medications for your sciatica? :? Lyrica works really well for me. you should talk to your doctor about this.. :-C good luck and i hope you find the comfort you need here on the forum!! :X Jenny :)