Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Injured by physical therapist?

CMCCM Posts: 100
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I would like to hear from anyone else who has been injured by a physical therapist. What happened and what, if anything, were you able to do about it?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,827
    Physical Therapist work on orders that come from a doctor. Granted there are good Physical Therapists and there are those that are not so good.
    I've had over 30 different Physical Therapist in the past 35 years and I can honestly say none of them did anything that would injure me.
    Were there times when some of the exercises or stretches caused some pain? Yes.
    That will and does happen very often, especially when people first start to see their therapists. There is a mutual understanding that the patient and the physical therapist must establish. With that there should never been any unforseen problems, without it,
    its hard to say
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • i was having physical therapy and at the end of the monththe therapist told me the insurance co needed a report comcerning my progress. one of the tests she gave me was to stand on ore leg for as long as i could. well the therapist stood 20 ft. away while i was on one leg. i quckly fell backwards into another chairand had extra pain for a week.
    i left the therapy and never went back. i did tell management why i was quiting....pete
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,827
    I think the worse times in physical therapy is when the therapist needs to justify something to the insurance company. In 2006 and part of 2007, I was going to Physical Therapy and Aqua Therapy 3 x week. That lasted over a year. Then, the therapists will starting to tell me that since there was no real improvement in my condition for several weeks, they could no longer justify the treatments to the insurance company. Ok, I can understand that. So one therapist had this notion that IF I could throw around a medicine ball, do corner stretches in a door way and some other things, they would be able to justify some room for improvement. I just looked at this therapist , shook my head and told him, then discharge me, because I wasnt going to do something that I knew was going to hurt me or worse.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have never been what I would call 'injured' by a physical therapist but I have certainly had physical therapy treatment sessions for my back condition (prior to having surgery) that left me worse off than before having the treatment - I don't mean the expected pain for a few hours afterwards, I mean increased pain levels for several days until things calmed down again. I don't class this as injury though.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator