Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 week update / bone growth question

LumbarLynneLLumbarLynne Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I can't believe it has been 4 weeks since my L5/S1 fusion! I am doing well and have to remind myself that I had MAJOR surgery and am still healing. I am back to working almost full time (work for myself so I can juggle things a lot and work when I want to most of the time). It does feel good to be back in a more normal routine.

I am still only walking about 20 minutes a day. I want to increase it but not sure I am ready yet.

I went to the chiropractor and massage therapist today. My massage therapist even worked lightly on my lower back and especially the SI joints - which have OA - and are still painful and will probably be painful for the rest of my life. My chiropractor said not to get injections of steroids in the the SI joints as though it can help the pain, in the long term it can cause more deterioration. I wasn't a big fan of it anyway but now I have a good reason :) The therapist worked on a lot of very tight muscles, mostly on my right side - and it felt wonderful to get them to loosen up.

My chiropractor said that my pelvis was completely twisted to the point that my right leg was one inch shorter than my left leg. It was also showing some weakness. She adjusted my pelvis and the adjustment did hurt my back although after it was done, I saw a huge improvement in my walking now that my legs are the same length again! My psoas is in complete spasm but it is too soon for her to adjust that, maybe at 8 weeks post op. There is a lot of inflammation and I am guarding the area which causes all my other muscles to go into spasms but that is to be expected at 4 weeks post op.

I will probably go back in for a massage again in another 1-2 weeks and then try to wait another 4 before my next adjustment unless it is getting really bad. She did tell me to start doing some stretches though.

I go back in 2 weeks for my first post-op - won't see the n-surg but his nurse instead. I am hoping they will clear me for more exercise and PT. I am ready, just don't want to do anything that will hurt myself.

Here is my question - what kind of bone growth can you see at 6 weeks post op? I hear that sometimes you can see the start of some? What have others seen at this point in time?

• will take a while. My surgeon said that he does not even look for it until 4 month checkup. I would be cautious letting the chiropractor adjust you. You could really injure your back (especially your fusion) Have you talked to your surgeon about getting adjusted. The reason from my concern is my chiropractor who I have gone to forever said he would not adjust me because of the fear of interfering with the bone growth of the fusion. Also if you are having one leg shorter, it could be the readjustment of your muscles. There is a technique called Graston that is very effective in helping with the muscle changes that will not hurt your fusion. Hope you continue to improve :)