Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Flexiblity with bulging disc (L5 S1) injury

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Lower Back Pain

I have a mild bulging disc (L5 S1). It happened last November and I am currently in much better shape than I was last year. I go to yoga and my flexibility has not improved much since my injury.

Before I was injured I could almost (one inch away) touch my toes, I know not great. Now I can't even bent at the waist to a horizontal position. My physical therapist said that I had very tight ham strings. Is there any possibility to regain greater flexibly or is my back scarred and I will have to accept limited flexibility?

• Hi,

Your flexibility might not be as great as it would have been before your injury, but sometimes tight muscles can be loosened through methods other than stretching, like massage. I myself have odd joints, and weird flexibility, and was told that it was weird I was so flexible with such extremely tight hamstrings. I asked (myself being young) my mother for a massage once a week or so, and this has worked rather well for me.

However if you can (as I don't know what level pain you're in) doing those simple stretches like bending over to touch you toes (again, I don't know if this would hurt your back more than it would help you) regularly, meaning at least once, maybe twice, a day, will help your flexibility improve, even if not to what it would be without your back injury.

I hope this helped!
  • Hi. When you said you cannot even bend your waist at a horizontal position, do you mean you cannot bend from an upright position, or from any position at all? For instance, if you were lying in bed, can you rise your legs, with assistance, so they point straight upward??
  • Thanks for the good info lovely27, I will stretch more often. :)
    Phil, what I mean is when I try to touch my toes and bend at the waist I can't get further than getting my back horizontal. If that makes sense.
This discussion has been closed.