Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Laser Spine Institute

SapaSSapa Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

Just wondering if anyone's heard of the Laser Spine Institute, and if anyone's had laser surgery for herniated disks. I have 2 - one between L4 and L5, and the other between L5 and S1. The last one is getting worse and is pressing a bit on the nerve root. I've had cortisone injection which has helped a bit, but obviously not taken it away. But has reduced the pain some. I'm going to a free seminar from this Institute, and just wanted some feedback if anyone has any!

Thanks in advance!

• i've heard a few bad things like poor results and one country's health system not approving them. when you see a lot of advertising be skeptical
  • Sandy,

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. That place came up here several times, with quite mixed reviews. For one thing, I understand they want a rather large payment up front. Once you paid and had the surgery, they are hard to get hold of. I would be rather skeptical, and do a lot of research before deciding to go with it. There is a reason why insurance companies don't pay for treatment received there.

Please be very cautious and careful before you make such a major decision.

• There are numerous threads relative to Laser Spine Institute.

Go to the top of this page - and type in LASER SPINE INSTITUTE in the search engine.

Good luck!

• I recommend you have a consultation with a spine surgeon at a university health center. Teaching hospitals tend to have pretty good reputations and well trained surgeons. They'll have Docs who specialize in spine surgery. Be very careful who you choose for this...it's your spine! Good luck, let us know what you decide and welcome to the forum!
  • Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

I will do a search for the threads you mentioned Jeauxbert.

And thanks for the cautionary warnings everyone. I know what you mean about if it "sounds too good to be true". My own family doctor has actually also told me that they tend to pressure you a lot right away, so I am going in there with caution. And I will be doing lots more research. I'm from Canada so the treatment they offer probably won't be covered from here anyway, so that will be a big factor.

Thanks for all your info and input! I will post again after I go to the "free" seminar on Thursday.

Talk to you then.

• Hi everyone,

Just an update:

I've just spent a few hours doing research on LSI. I've read so many blogs, forums, reports etc. Some good things, but mostly bad. There are lots of sites I came across, some of them you have to dig through a bit, but there`s lots out there.

Anyway, I've decided not to even go to the free seminar. One, the cost would be wayyyyy to prohibitive and is not covered by insurance, and the medical credentials of surgeons there do not seem legit. First hand experiences I've read - a few say the results were great, some say they were okay but not as good as they hoped, and others say it didn't help at all, and made some much worse.

This is just my personal opinion and gut feeling, but I`m not going to go for it. I hope if anyone else is interested in this, they will also do lots of research.

Take care!
  • You may find that if you need to have two adjacent disks worked on, that a fusion will need to be considered. Some surgeons are performing a fusion at one level and replacing one disc with an artificial one. Depending on your particular problems, you might be a candidate for two artificial discs. This is not commonly done in the US and insurance companies are starting to get squirmy about the procedure, though. It is widely done in Germany.

Also you might want to do some research on "percutaneous discectomy" which is a relatively new way of handling disc surgery. It is done in some hospitals and is improved by some insurance companies...but again, you must meet the screening requirements to have the procedure.