Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trigger Points?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I'd like to know if anyone is familiar with the type of pain that I'm having. I had an ALIF on the L5/S1 on the 10th of June, and am healing nicely. Now, out of the blue, I have developed a burning pain in my upper back. It started out about 3 inches below the base of my neck and one inch to the left. I called my dr. and he said that it could be a trigger point. The burning has since spread to the other side of my spine and up my neck. I don't see my doctor again until this Thursday, but I feel like I have a colony of fire ants on my back. I've never heard of trigger points. Can anyone help?

• hi...i dont know a lot of info on trigger points. i,ve probably had them but didnt know the difference between them and muscle spasms. but my little understanding is that the muscle gets tied up in knots and the middle of the knot is the trigger point. some folks have gone to a massage person and had them cured by deep muscle massage. i ope someone will post that can add to this info.
  • just found this link to info on trigger points. looks like the massage can help. at least its not near your surgery.
  • Thank you so much for the information. The only treatment I had found was lydocaine injected into the knotted muscle. A massage sounds much more pleasant.

• i think the injection is for cases that dont get better with massage. dont be thanking me too early because the deep muscle massage isnt that gentle. :S :S :S
  • yes I get the same thing and My PT rubs it out, She says its from over doing things and the other muscle groups take up the slack......
  • A proper massage will no doubt help. They can spot these problems immediately, if not by sight then by feel.
    Look for a remedial, sports or deep tissue massage.
    It will take many treatments to get rid of the knots permanently, so don't give up after one or two when it all comes back.
    Muscles have a memory and after being massaged, teased and stretched, will then try to go back to the knot.
    So you may need multiple weekly ones at the start if you are really bad.
    I have a weekly remedial massage for similar reasons. and it works extremely well. If I go over a week I fall behind, then it's hard to catch up again.
    Better to keep up the treatment, and gradually extend the intervals. You will know!
    The pain relief has been remarkable.
    Very gentle treatments initially, and after a while a bit stronger when the pressure points are treated, but easily handled and so worth it.
    Can't recommend it highly enough.
  • Thank you so much. I see my surgeon tomorrow, & I'll find out if they have a massage therapist in the Physical Therapy department (I'm sure they do), and see if I can get set up for treatments. My neck is relatively flexible this morning, but last night I had an attack that spread all the way up my neck, and into both shoulders. I was afraid that I was going to have to go to the ER. I don't have any pain pills that are strong enough to affect pain like that. Tomorrow will only be my second post-op appointment, and I'm anxious to see if I have any visible healing. Since joining the spine-health community, I have been making a list of questions that I have for the dr. I'm much more informed now.

• I hope that you get great relief from the deep massage therapy. If for some reason it doesn't work for you, research the trigger point injections. I have had great relief from the weekly lidocaine trigger point injections that I have been getting. If you have any questions, you cam PM me anytime. Good Luck & God Bless.

• Thanx for sharing it with us its very informative:)
  • Rusty,

Did you get the help you needed? I was curious if anyone on these boards had tried Trigger Point Therapy, and found your post.

I researched TP not long after I had back surgery in 2006, and I am sure glad I did! I got the book by Claire Davies, and got my husband started on my poor shoulders and butt. It made a HUGE difference and I have rarely had problems since.

I had had problems for YEARS with my shoulders and hips, and TP massage virtually cured it. I was disgusted I hadn't discovered it sooner. It helped remarkably with my life-long TMJ problems too. Really, I can't say enough good things about it.

Hopefully you have had good things happen. I hope to hear from you

• natira121 said:

I had had problems for YEARS with my shoulders and hips, and TP massage virtually cured it. I was disgusted I hadn't discovered it sooner. It helped remarkably with my life-long TMJ problems too. Really, I can't say enough good things about it.

It's so great when you stumble on an effective treatment, but then you wonder why it took so long.
    That is one of the main problems with medical treatment-it is no where near as exact or helpful as you may think, and so much that is offered is because it is favoured by that particular doctor, and not because it is THE standard treatment, or one that he doesn't believe in.
    This means that you will probably get a different opinion on treatment, for the one complaint, from every one you see. And if they don't like an option treatment, such as chiropractic, TPR or massage, they just won't mention it.
    So you have to traipse around all these different ones hoping to find the treatments that work for you.
    And you may well need a combination of different treatments.
    How great would it to be to have a one-stop medical centre that combined a wide variety of these treatments in the one place, so that every option was followed?