Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is this good, or bad -SSDI question

Amanda S YanisAAmanda S Yanis Posts: 124
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I filed about the end of May for SSDI. Now I have two exams set up, one mental and one physical. Is this a good thing or a bad thing??

• I would think it is a good thing. just one step closer to getting ur SSDI. just be honest and make sure if anything hurts while ur doing the Phsyical part just stop and let them know it hurts that u can't do it
  • Amanda -

It's standard procedure. They are just reinforcing your file with all the correct information.

One thing, though... SSA will generally send any information to the examining physician that pertains to whatever it is they are seeing you for. That way, they won't have to spend alot of time asking a bunch of questions that SSA already knows. So, if the docs don't spend too much time with you (as any doctor would the first time they see you), don't be alarmed. These docotrs are asked to comment on certain things (and these things are different for each claim) so this is all they are interested in.

Good luck! Keep us posted?
  • i got my denial letter on Friday. I don't know yet if I'm going to appeal it or not. probably not though. I went to one neurosurgeon a couple weeks ago and he said I needed a three level fusion. When i went for a second opinion they told me no surgery, that i should be fine, and to stop all pain meds. I had just started with a phentanyl patch the day prior and had to take it off today as it was making me too sick. Now I'm laying in bed in so much pain I can hardly type. I just give up!
  • You can not give up so you have two seperate opinions, and they are just that opinions, do not give up and yes you do refile, they just about all the time deny you on the first goround so that you will get tired of it and give up, please dont fall into the group that gave up, you are obviously a survivor, you have been through enough already.We are here to help you and that we will do so here is my opinion, see if you can get one of them to order an MRI for you so you know where you stand. And go with whichever Dr you feel comfortable with, there is obviously some pain somewhere or they would not have ordered a patch for you. If you get depressed talk to us we are here for you, but promise not to give up.
  • With tweety! You must appeal. It is all part of the process that they put most of us through. Go to another doc and another until you find one that can and will help you. You may want to try a Pain Management doc. It is not unusual to feel sick and some not so good side effects when starting a new med (especially the stronger pain meds). The side effects will go away once your body adjusts. You will also feel more "normal" after your body adjusts to the meds. It is also very normal to feel depressed when dealing with chronic pain. You must find that inner strength and be determined to find some relief. There is a doc out there that can and will help you. Just keep looking. Good luck and please keep us posted.
    PS- I felt exactly as you did and it took me 2 years before I found a doc that diagnosed me and actually helped me. I remember that I cried when he said this is what is wrong and this is what we will do for you. I see that you have an annular tare and they are excruciating! Not to mention the herniations! I am not a doc but it looks to me that you have plenty of reason to be in pain. Put that patch back on and give it another shot. If the side effects are bothersome, please feel free to ask around the board. There are remedies for most side effects. I do know from personal experience that opiates are an excellent pain killer.