Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

My Microdiscectomy Surgery Experience

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Lower Back Pain
I was diagnosed with L5S1 since December 2008.
My first physician prescribed some medications and advised that once the pain and numbness in my left leg will still exist after 7 days of taking medicines then I will undergo "spine surgery". I wasn't ready mentally and financially as I discovered that our Insurance doesn't cover this type of surgery as they said its pre-existing condition.
I tried alternative treatment liked acupuncture and chiropractor massage but it didn't help. I've been coming back and forth to the hospital for consultations and injections while continuously taking medicines like Methocarbamol, Indomethacin and Acetaminophen. Pain disappeared for 1-2 weeks after taking the medications and after a month it returned again.
I planned of taking vacation leave this coming October 2009 and do the surgery in Philippines for it is cheaper and safer as I believed. I've searched and asked for quotations for the "spine surgery procedure" from some Neurosurgeon in Manila, Philippines; however last June 2009 I felt that the pain is already intolerable and I couldn't get up from the bed, the worst pain I felt.
I went to see Neurosurgeon, EDITED Dubai, UAE and after telling him about my illness, he explained to us everything especially the advantages of having the surgery, the "Microdiscectomy Lumbar Surgery". That same day, my husband and I agreed that I will undergo the said surgery after two days only so I can get ready and prepare myself.
On July 2, 2009, I underwent "Microdiscectomy Surgery". With the help of the general anesthesia and a well-experienced Neurosurgeon the procedure took almost 2 hours and I didn't feel any pain at all. From the operating and recovery room they transferred me to the ICU for less than 24 hours then lately in my own room.
On the same day, I got up in bed and started walking in the hospital hallway as sort of exercise and I got discharged a day after.
In less than a week I didn't feel any pain even in the incision area. Sometimes there is numbness but only for few minutes. I started doing some light household chores and I am now happily doing my physical therapy and getting ready of coming back to work this August.
Based on my experienced, taking medicines for lower back pain e.g. L5S1 can only reduce the pain for few days but it will come back again and again while doing Microdiscectomy Surgery will be a little bit painful in the beginning but it will help eradicate the pain and numbness in legs for a long time.
Trust your Neurosurgeon and help yourself for speedy recovery.

Dubai, UAE

Doctors name and contact details removed by forum Moderator (paulgla). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.

• thats wonderful things went well for you. hope it continues.
    i was just curious. what would the surgery have cost in the philipines?
  • Hope all is well when you read my late reply.
    I apologized, been so busy at work after a month of sick leave.
    As per the quotation given to me by XXX it is between $3000 - $3500 while XXX in Quezon City quoted $3500 - $4500.
    But you know what,in Dubai I paid only $4500 for everything including the medicines for 2 weeks.
    I am in 90% recovery right now...felt some little pain whenever I am moving wrongly, specially lifting heavy things.

Take care.

Doctors name and contact details removed by forum Authority (Cath111). We do not permit publishing specific doctor's or institution names and contact details.
  • My microdiscectomy last year was a life saver! I went through 6 months of pain, failed medication, useless physiotherapy and not being able to sit. I had to quit my job and leave the city to move home with my family whilst I awaited surgery, and afterwards was such a huge relief.
  • Gosh, what amazing price differences between U.S. and other places.
    My surgeon in Los Angeles offered me one price for surgery in L.A. and for the same surgery, but in St. Petersburg Russia, a much much lower price.

I liked the lower price, but was too scared to go to Russia.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • hey thine
    good to hear all went well for you.i also stay in dubai and have had the same surgery 3 weeks back.
    can i ask who did u go to for pt?
    how long after the surgery were u cleared for pt?
    i still have a little stiffness in my buttocks and feeel pain when i move too fast in my lowerback.
    please tell me what kind of pt you did..would really help me thanks
  • Hi Kamal,

Apologized, just remembered to check spine-health.com
    Beeeeeen busy, really!

The truth I didn't do any therapy with the registered PT.
    10 days after the surgery they removed the stiches and I waited for another week for the therapy. My neurosurgeon sent me to the hospital registered theraphist and she gave me list of exercises that I did for 10 days, not on the gym, just at home, on my medical bed....after that
    everything went well.

Hoped you are very well now.

All the best!

• I am glad you posted your experience and that it is a positive one. Too many times we see posts of only the bad experiences with surgery. Obviously for some people the surgery can get you up and going much faster with less time in pain.

• I'm really glad the surgery worked for you. I had a broadly similar experience in the UK a few years ago but it took more than a year to get most of the strength back in my leg and ankle. I've been fine for several years but have been struck down again. I've already been taking strong painkillers for more than a week and the pain is just getting worse. I'm also living in Dubai and not covered by insurance as this is a prior condition. I understand that posting the name of the doctor and contact details is not allowed on the forum but I would be very grateful if you would send them to me as a private message.

Many thanks in advance.
  • Hi JS,

I am grateful you appreciated my post. I want to encourage others who are suffering out there and through my own experience I hoped it will help them, too.

I believed I recovered quickly because I helped myself.
    I've been very obedient with everything that my NeuroSurgeon told me.
    I took the prescribed medicines round the clock, with alarm on my mobile so I won't miss it, hehehe. Actually, after 10 days I stopped taking medicines even painkillers.
    (My tolerance in pain is poor, but I got surprised because I didn't feel much pain while I was on recovery stage.)
    I used medical bed for 3 months instead of the normal one and it helped a lot.
    I followed all the instructions given by the registered PT for my physical theraphy.
    And lastly, I am really eager to recover coz I want to get back to work after a month.

• Hi,

I sent you through PM the name and contact details of my NeuroSurgeon, hope that will help.

All the best.

• slimkagzsslimkagz Posts: 1
    edited 06/28/2015 - 9:30 AM
    Dear Thinez,
    It was thoughtful of you to share your experienced. My MRI scan revealed that disk below my L5 S1 slipped thereby, causing pain to my right leg from tigh to toe (numbness). The Surgeon recommended surgery (discectomy + cage + 2 screw) but is so expensive. I really cannot afford to pay nor do I have any insurance. Would you be so kind to provide me with the Hospital and Surgeon's name in Dubai through PM or Email slimkagz@yahoo.com.
    Thanks so much

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on the Welcome and learn more about SH and how to best navigate this site to best benefit you.

We members are not permitted to speak of our doctors, hospitals or clinics by name.
    On this SH site, there is an international...Find a doctor, Find a spine center.
    When you click on Welcome and its accompanying links, it will lead you to that information.

This discussion has been closed.