Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain medications

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:33 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
have realized that doctors don't really have any solutions for me. what types of pain medications do i have to choose from besides hydrocodone and OTC's? I can barely freakin walk b/c of the pain, but i know that i need to exercise or my situation will only deteriorate much faster. i also suffer from a severe bipolar disorder so i have to watch what i take. ARRRRRgh!!!!! somebody please help me out!

• I think talking to your psychiatrist is a good idea. I don't know what meds you are taking, but some of the more commonly prescribed meds for BD are useful in pain management, too. Maybe this doctor will be able to find something that will provide some relief.

Do you have a diagnosis for your back issues? We could perhaps have better suggestions if we knew more about your situation.
  • I'm guessing that you have DDD since you posted under this thread. I have severe DDD in L4-S1 and a history of other problems including disc herniations. I started on Vicodin 5/500mgs and Soma at the start of my back and leg pain. By the time I had my second surgery (2 level fusion) I was already on Fentanyl pain patches, Norco 10/325mg, and Valium. From there I went to Ms Contin to Oxycodone for severe chronic pain and nerve damage.

I would be very concerned about any doctor pushing me into surgery. Have you had x-rays and an MRI done? They need up to date films and maybe a ct myelogram before speaking of any type of back surgery.

I can't tell you what medication will work for you, but the best approach is taking a combination of meds to manage each aspect of the pain: long acting and short acting pain meds, muscle relaxer, nerve pain medicine, NSAIDS, and maybe a sleep aid. It also takes being involved in PT, trying massage and accunpuncture, aquatherapy, biofeedback, psycotherapy, TENS unit, etc. Take care
  • It does actually. Or maybe you can consult a geriatric psychiatrist, they will clearly explain to you why you are experiencing such pain that are maybe false sometimes.